Thursday, November 6, 2014

Halloween 2014

The week of Halloween we (and by "we", I mean David) carved the pumpkins we'd purchased at the pumpkin patch earlier in the month.
Both kids picked out pretty large pumpkins this year...
 
 
David had the kids draw on what they wanted him to carve...
 

Since the pumpkins were so large, we had the twins have one pumpkin, and then had a family pumpkin as well...




David made "El Spookadaro" on the right here. On the left you'll find our two-sided pumpkin, one side showing a Jedi (complete with belt and use of The Force) and Abbey's "Silly Pumpkin" on the opposite side... 




One night that week we ate dinner and watched The World Series by the light of our Jack-o-Lanterns, which I think will now officially be a family tradition =)

Halloween fell on a Friday this year, so the twins had preschool that morning. Their school held a Harvest Party, and I got to volunteer and spend the morning at school with them.



 It's always fun to spend time at school with them during events like this. (That's not to say I don't love the six hours a week that I normally just drop them there and then run errands or come home to an empty house...because I do love that too)  But I really enjoy sitting back and watching them interact with their classmates and teachers, and on party days, other parents. I like how proud they are to show me all around the school and their classrooms. I like getting to observe the friends they've talked about. I love the glimpse of what their time is like there on regular school mornings.


That night we visited our friends, just like the years prior, for first house to Trick or Treat at... 










 
Are they not the cutest little Jedi's you've ever seen?!
 
Wanna hear the coolest part? David made their costumes.
I had purchased Halloween costumes back in the end of August, when Costco put them out and they were $11.99. Luke wanted to be Wolverine, so we snatched it up. $12 and done. Abigail wanted to be Jessie (from Toy Story) so I ordered that off Amazon and gave myself a pat on the back for being so on top of things that I had Halloween costumes purchased and in my possession by September 5th.
 
What I completely neglected to recognize is that four year olds are known for changing their minds.
 
After watching the Lego Star Wars movie, Luke became enthralled by all things Star Wars. Abbey has been interested too, but not nearly to the degree Luke has been.
Suddenly, around mid-October the checker at Target asked the kids what they were going to be for Halloween, and Luke replied "a Jedi!"
Um, no. You are going to be Wolverine.
I was sensitive to his request, but also willing to ride the Mean Mom train all the way home because we'd already purchased a costume, and even though it was low-priced, I wasn't willing to purchase another one simply because his mind had changed.
He took it really well.
(I was impressed)
And I was telling Dave about it later that night, when he said "I bet I can make him something..."
And the idea was born.
He talked to Luke about his plans, much to Luke's delight. Abbey even decided she wanted to be a Jedi too =).
So one afternoon after work, David went to Goodwill and searched Women's Small clothing until he found all the pieces he needed...right down to the leather Jedi belts =).
He also picked up those neon bats, covered the bottoms in duct and electrical tape, thus creating Light Sabers.
 
MAJOR Dad points!!
 





The Force is strong with these two.




1 comment:

Vanessa's Dad said...

Such a great story about the costumes for Luke and Abbey. U R truly wonderful parents. Your family is blessed. Love your blog.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD