Friday, March 13, 2009

28

In honor of my 28th birthday, I thought I would post 28 weird-or I actually prefer the word "interesting"- things about me:


1. I absolutely hate the smell of down. I can't stand it. It invokes a gag reflex in me. Just awhile back I was in Costco perusing clothes and just as I turned a corner, I all of a sudden felt like gagging and immediately recognized the smell of down. Sure enough there was some down jackets for sale just a few feet from me. Yuck. Down pillows in a hotel room? Adios. To the closet they go!!


2. I almost always have a candle burning in my house when someone comes over. I am always afraid my house really stinks and I just can't smell it because I am "used to it". So I burn candles just in case.

3. I love to sleep with one arm thrown back over my head.

4. When I sleep like that, my cat Lucy licks my armpit. It is so gross. So I can't really sleep like that for very long.

5. I am not a big vegetable fan, but I do love carrots. Love them!!

6. All my life, I had never had cable television until David and I got married. Hello TBS, TLC, Oxygen, and HGTV channels...where have you been all my life?!?

7. My absolute favorite food is macaroni and cheese. Love it. And although I really need to try this recipe, I pretty much love it in any form. Even good old all American Kraft macaroni and cheese. (Although I do think the spirals taste better than the regular, anyone else find that to be true?)

8. I may not be the best driver in the world, but I can parallel park like nobody's business. Seriously.

9. If you want to see me go absolutely ape, talk to me during a movie and then turn to me a minute later and say "what just happened, I missed it". SO. DID. I.!!! YOU WERE TALKING TO ME!!!

10. I have a strange - yet very real aversion to odd numbers. I can't stand if the TV or radio volume is on 25, or 17 or something, I always have to click it one more time up or down to be on a even number. I also can not set my alarm to an odd number. You could check it at any time and it will always be set for 6:42am or 6:48am, or 7:04am or something. If Dave tells me he needs to get up at 7:15am, he knows that the alarm will be set for 7:14am. I simply can not have it any other way. Weird, I know.


11. I prefer mugs with rounded, shaped, or contoured sides. David pointed this out to me, I had never noticed it before, but given the choice between two different coffee mugs, I will always choose the more curvy one....
I wonder what that says about me... any psychotherapists out there reading this?


12. I heart sleeping. I pretty much could sleep anytime, anywhere. I love it. Only like 3 times in my entire life have I woke up feeling like it was "time to get up!" I could always sleep more.

13. I absolutely have to have a glass of water next to me before I can fall asleep. HAVE TO. Even if we are camping or something, I have to have a water bottle near me. It's a strange comfort thing. But it also has to do with the fact that I lllllooovveee water. I carry a water bottle (stainless steel thank you very much) with me everywhere I go. I freak out if I don't have it with me and immediately become parched just knowing it isn't there. *Yes I have been tested for diabetes and no I do not have it*

14. Every night before I go to sleep, going to the bathroom is the very last thing I do. If I get all ready for bed and then climb in and watch TV or read for a bit, then I have to get up and pee before I can go to sleep.


15. I can not stand to be wet in my clothes. Like if I am washing my hands and my sleeve gets wet, I have to roll it up so that the wet part is not just resting on my bare arm. Or if I running in to work in the rain and the part of my pants that my coat doesn't cover gets soaked - I am miserable until it dries. The odd thing is I LOVE a nice long shower or a bath, I just hate being in wet clothes...makes me feel like a drowned rat or something.

16. Hi my name is Kendra and I am addicted to hoodies. I currently own 9 (yup nine) hooded sweatshirts, 3 zip-up hooded sweatshirts, and that's in addition to several hooded sweaters. Think that's weird?? I can't even remember the last time I used the hood feature of the sweatshirt.
Camping summer of 08 I think was the last time.

17. I can not go to the movies and not get popcorn. It's like my eyes are unable to focus on the screen (albeit GIANT) in front of me unless yummy buttery popcorn is being ferried from a greasy bag to my mouth. The only time I can think of where I didn't get popcorn was when we went and saw The Passion. Excellent movie, but not a popcorn movie.

18. I wear socks to bed every night. Well, ok, perhaps there is like 3 times in the summer when it is really, unbearably hot, that I don't wear socks to bed, but the other 362 days it's a guarantee.

19. I am late everywhere I go. No matter what time I get up, or how much I plan ahead, I am always running late.
I hate that about myself.

20. I love chocolate chip cookie dough more than I like chocolate chip cookies.

21. I can not stand Kirsten Dunst. I don't really know why...I just don't like her. At all.

22. I have never seen SO many of the "classics"...I have never seen "It's A Wonderful Life", or "The Sound of Music"...but I have seen "Sweet Home Alabama" like 17 times.

23. Even the thought of tapioca pudding makes me gag.

24. I hate the feeling of someone else's bare feet touching me. EW. It took me a long time to even be able to stand David's feet touching me...and I adore him. It's nothing personal, it just gives me the heebee-geebee's. (Is that how you spell that??)

25. Ok...so apparently, I talk in my sleep. And not just adorable little comments or noises, and not even chatty conversation...no, apparently I like to FREAK my poor husband out by saying something completely off the wall, while sitting up, eyes wide open, and try and convince him that I am in fact awake while I am speaking nonsense at him. The first instance on the books was shortly after we were married, when he came to bed, I turned on the light, sat straight up, and told him to watch his step because there was a cactus on the floor right next to the bed. He froze -obediently- and stared at me saying "Uh.....huh?"
Usually during such events, I wake up to find my beloved spouse is staring at me with the most quizzical look on his face.
That is just the first instance. The others are an entire blog entry of their own...

26. I have a completely irrational fear of running out of toilet paper. I always make sure each bathroom has plenty of extra rolls, and I keep an extra package in the garage "just in case".

27. I am scared of parrots. Terrified. When David and I lived in Mexico, we rented a bungalow from a lady who had an enclosed property, and she would just let these little monsters roam around. Have you ever seen a parrot walk? It is SO. CREEPY. They have big, sweeping shoulder movements, and they lurch slowly at you. They could smell my fear, and they would literally chase me around the yard. I am quite sure if I would not have run, one of them would have pecked my foot until it had to be amputated. Currently at my gym sometimes one of the staff members brings her parrot in and lets it sit on her shoulder while she works. I am always practically hugging the opposing wall as I check in...especially because my hair is usually back in a pony tail and therefor my neck (and carotid artery) is exposed!!!

28. Even though I can not carry a tune in a bucket, I have the gift of being able to identify a song within a few mere seconds of hearing it. We discovered this talent at Dave's work's Christmas party a few years ago...they would play a clip of a song, and whoever guessed it properly first won a token. A few notes would play, and BOOM my hand was in the air "Africa by Toto!" or "Carpet ride by Steppenwolf!!". My hands were filled with tokens in a matter of moments, as my husband stared at me with awe and wonder...it was one of my finest hours.



So there you go. If you made it through this whole list, you are a trooper!!! Don't worry, I won't try and do this when I am 40. HA!!
Lacy, are you up for listing 26 strange things about you this weekend??

19 comments:

natalierochelle said...

#8 I can parallel park pretty dang well too, weird.

#15 I absolutely despise being wet in my clothes. I hate it when I stay at someone's house and have to get dressed in the bathroom, fresh out of the shower. And I REALLY hate the feeling of wet hair on my neck. I remember hating that even when I was a little girl. I would stand up out of the bath and arch my back in the most uncomfortable position just to avoid the hair from touching my back. I can picture it in my mind now, mainly because we had that huge mirror in the bathroom so I could always see myself doing it.

#16 I adore hoodies too, but never get to wear them anymore. :(

#19 Researchers are still investigating, but I'm quite certain this is genetic...

#26 I think this is because we ran out so often growing up, because I'm the same way.

Anonymous said...

This was very entertaining! I tried to see how much I already know about you...and I DID know more than I thought...about the half of the list! I think our weekly "Office night" made that happen. :) It was also fun to learn new things about you.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I could literally go on for days about this post!! How many weird quirky things we have in common kind of scares me. Top ones are:
8. I am a great parallel parker (I parallel parked a full sized truck for the drivers license test), but I'm not that great of a driver.
9. Same applies to TV for me. I once snapped at my college roomie for asking me questions about what was happening in LOST, during the show. Serious NO NO.
10. Weird numbers. Depending on what it is I can't have even numbers, and other things I can't have odd numbers. Example: A vase of flowers HAVE to be odd number of flowers. But I love even numbers, especially ones that are divisible by 4 for most other things.
12. I ♥ sleep SOOO much. One of my favorite things seriously.
14. I have to go to the bathroom before sleeping, even if I really don't need to go.
17. Popcorn at a Movie. I NEVER not get popcorn. (The Passion is my only exception also).

I loved this post, and learning so much more about you. What a great idea, and perfect celebration of your 28 years! :) Happy Birthday Kendra!

**PS. You MUST see The Sound of Music. It is one of my favorites, as is It's a Wonderful Life. Have you seen Gone with the Wind???

Stephanie said...

I am 10 minutes late to anywhere I go too. But to me, there's a 10 minute window in either direction. Longer than 10 minutes requires an "I'm running late" phone call, or it's just rude. I don't know where I came up with this rule but I hold on to it pretty tight.

I don't like Kirsten Dunst either. I don't think she's all that pretty and she always plays roles I don't like.

I love hoodies too. I wear them a lot and always choose them for my kids. Asher has about 5
hooded sweatshirts.

I always have a candle burning too. And I can smell things in my house nobody else can. It's an inherited trait - my parents do the same thing.

I prefer contoured mugs, too, and drink basically nothing but water, milk, or coffee (and an occasional glass of iced tea).

But:
I didn't even know down had a smell.

I don't love to sleep. The story is that I never slept well - didn't sleep through the night until I was 4, never napped well, and I still don't ever take naps unless I'm sick (even when I'm up with infants at night, I don't sleep during the day). And even if I had no children I would wake up at 7:30 am feeling as though it was time to get up.

I almost never get popcorn at movies. I prefer candy.

Emily said...

This was so good. I love the alarm clock part and the talking in your sleep. And I love mac and cheese too.. yes the spirals do taste better.

Jen S. said...

Hi Kendra!
Hope you had a great 28th B-day! I loved reading your list... I learned so much about you :)
As for #22--I'm right there with you, and must say that I haven't seen those movies either, PLUS I haven't even seen "Sweet Home Alambama" once, AND I haven't even seen "Titanic"...how awful am I??!!
As for #25, that cracked me up... I too talk in my sleep (but not quite as much as you--that was so funny!!) AND I snort like a pig at times. Embarassing but true!! Steve makes sure to let me the next morning by imitating me and laughing his butt off!
Again, I loved your list. Oh,and about burning candles....I too LOVE burning candles,etc. I have to have my house smelling good at all times! I can't really smell the candles or potpurri oils I burn (I think I'm too used to them), but thankfully when anyone comes over, they say it always smells good. Ohhh that just makes my day!!
Love,
Jen

Jenna said...

LOVED this!! #27 made me laugh out loud!

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday!!!!

Faith said...

How fun! I am with you on #2, #15, #19 and #25...I am the same way!

These were great and I loved learning more about you. Happy Happy Birthday to you!!!

P.S. We are the same age now =)

Unknown said...

Oh My Goodness!! i loved this post:) i am so one of those people that has a candle burning because i am paranoid that people think that my house smells and i am also in the late people club. i promise you no matter how much i try i can NEVER EVER be on time!!

oh and #27 made me laugh out loud also!!!

Happy Birthday:)

Family of 5 said...

Happy Birthday! I loved reading your 28 list of things about yourself! Quite amusing! I hope you had a wonderful day and somewhat relaxing! Did you take the day off and sleep in by chance? ;)

Jenna said...

ohmygosh, you have me totally cracking up! The talking in your sleep thing is HILARIOUS! You need a blog post about the things you've said because the cactus comment has me rolling! My DH talks in his sleep too - sits up, stares and me and has a conversation about nothing! I think it's so funny!

Vanessa's Dad said...

What a hoot! Happy Birthday, Sweetie.

LOVE, DAD

Mary said...

Happy Birthday Kendra! I hope you had a super day.

your list made me giggle. multiple times.

Kelly said...

We have so much in common.

6- I did not have cable tv until I went to college. I soon became hooked to TLC's A Makeover Story.

13- I do not go anywhere without a bottle of water either. And I have to have a cup beside me when I sleep although I won't drink from it after I have slept.

14- I go to the bathroom at least 3 times from the time I start getting ready for bed until the time I acutally fall asleep.

15- I hate for my sleeves to get wet when I wash my hands.

20- As much as I love Choc. chip cookies I also like the dough better. I like the brownie batter more than I like brownies too.

Heather said...

I cannot even tell you how much I loved this list (and love the birthday girl, too!) I am the same way about barefeet, LOVE me a hoodie, and have to pee right before I sleep, too! OH- and I talk freaky in my sleep sometimes, too! Don't even get me started about how much I love "Sweet Home Alabama!" And you know the best of all- I HAVE TO SET MY ALARM CLOCK TO EVEN NUMBERS, too!!!! I can't believe someone else gets up at 6:42!!!! Love you so much and late Happy Birthday!

Lauren said...

Ha, loved this and loved learning more about you. Happy Birthday!!! :o)

Lianna Knight said...

Oh my!! We have SO much in common. I think the scariest similarity is the odd number thing...I do the same thing in my car. I have to set the thermostat for even numbers...78, 80, 74 etc. I also have an issue with making sure the AC and the radio are turned off before I turn my car off....I have no clue why, but it drives my hubby crazy.

And girl, you MUST see the Sound of Music...it's one of my ALL time FAVS :)

Happy Birthday

the name's emily. said...

7. DEFINITELY! Shapes are better! Especially the cartoon character ones :)

16. Woot woot

19. I agree with Natalie. Must be genetic...

20. I like cookie dough better, too!

22. HAVEN'T SEEN "THE SOUND OF MUSIC"?!?!?!?! ARE YOU CRAZY?! WE MUST MAKE A DATE! NOW! SERIOUSLY, RIGHT NOW.

24. I completely understand. Bare feet=gross

25. Oh yes this, too, must be genetic! But, I don't just talk. I'm violent! Apparently, I slapped my roommate in New York across the face one morning!!!

Oh, and just one more thing...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Guy and Julie said...

I found your blog through the prayer blog. I have to say I relate to you on so many levels--especially the even numbers obsession, talking in your sleep, and the water by the bed! I always feel like such a weirdo to have all those quirks--nice to know others out there have them too :) My biggest one is that I cannot stand for my toes to be covered--I wear flip flops year round! Anyway, know I pray for you through the prayer blog. Hope you had a great birthday.