Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sick =(

All of us.

Labor Day weekend we traveled to Salem to hang out with family, and we had SO much fun! The weekend was filled with lots of laughter and just some good quality time with loved ones. (Pics to follow in a later post) The only downside to the trip was our babies slept terribly during the nights. Up every 2 hours, if not every hour. Dave and I chalked it up to being in a new environment, over stimulation, and possible teething.

And David got sick Sunday evening. He's come down with a nasty sore throat and cold.

We got home Monday afternoon, and the babies had a rough time going down for their nap. They went down to sleep at bed time just fine, so we assumed that whatever was going on had worked itself out. But then proceeded to wake up every 45 minutes to hour and a half. Not fun. They would wake up and just not be able to settle themselves and even had a hard time with us trying to settle them. All this while David just continues to feel worse and worse. Yesterday morning he had to go teach, and when he got home he tried to take a short nap, but basically coughed through the whole thing. Poor guy. And Luke and Abbey were just fussier than usual and really clingy. Still not sure if they are working on teething, if they don't feel well, or both. My work was short staffed already yesterday, so I really needed to go in. My wonderful father in law came to the rescue and drove up here to give David an extra set of hands yesterday afternoon. Thank you Papa Bruce! =)

We were hopeful for a better nights rest last night, but no such luck. They both went down at their usual time easily, but then Abbey was back up at 10:45pm, Luke at 12:30am, and both at 2:30am, Luke at 3:45am, and Luke again at 4:30am...at that time I just got him up and brought him out to the couch. He slept fitfully on my chest off and on until about 6:15am when he finally started to settle in...and just as I was walking him down the hall to the nursery to lay him back in his crib, Abbey woke up.

At that point, I gave up the idea of more sleep and started the coffee. It became apparent the babies were going to once again be on complete opposite schedules today and simultaneous nap time was not something to hope for.

They both have been sneezing a lot and Ab's has a runny nose. They both have a touch of a dry cough too. Once in awhile they sound a little rattly, but that seems to pass quickly, thank goodness. We have the humidifier going in their room, so hopefully that will help. I am trying to make sure they stay properly hydrated, and have been nursing them each like crazy.

Did you know that when a nursing mother becomes ill, antibodies for the very illness she comes down with will be created in her breastmilk to help the babies fight that illness in themselves??

I find that Fascinating.



I started with what's now a wicked sore throat somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, and have been sneezing like it's my new career. I called in sick, as going into work this afternoon sounded not only like pure torture since I don't feel well and am sleep deprived, but a nursing mother is not quickly parted from her ill babes, and my family comes first. (Calling in sick the day after I informed my Director of Operations that I need to reduce my hours even more -a post for another time- should really put me in the running for employee of the year...oh well).

And with that, I leave you all to go OJ it up and care for my family and myself. With my sister Natalie coming over this afternoon to be another set of hands, hopefully there is a nice, long, hot shower in my future =)




13 comments:

Heather said...

Oh no! Feel better soon! Good for you for taking care of #1 (and #2 and #3 and #4) FIRST!

Lauren said...

You poor thing, hope everyone gets better and FAST!!!!!!!

Alexis said...

Yikes, Kendra! Having just a sick husband is enough to keep a woman busy!! Ha! I'm so sorry the babies are sick, and that you've gotten it as well. Good thing you have family close by that can help out! Wish I lived closer! I'd take a shift...as long as you keep your little germies to yourselves!! Hope you're ALL on the mend very soon.

Courtney said...

The breastmilk info is definately amazing. How can we live on this earth and not appriciate that there was a creator!? Amazing. And by the way, that picture below of you and Abby on the couch is beautiful. What a great momma moment.

the name's emily. said...

OH NO! And you were just talking at church about how they've never been sick :( I will be praying for you all!

Vanessa's Dad said...

I hope the Twins build up great antibodies from nursing and being sick, so they get healthy and stay healthy, and sleep well, and your present difficulties become a fading memory.

It could happen.
It will happen.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD

Family of 5 said...

SO sorry that you have to go through this! What a trial...and being sleep deprived on top of it...praying for the strength you need and that you all feel better very soon!

Aunt Carol said...

This to shall pass -- hopefully sooner rather than later. Cheers for Papa Bruce and Auntie Natalie.

Gillion said...

are they getting better now? You may try Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net). i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious coughs.

Linda Lee Brown Ayers said...

Hi..please let me know if I can help. I can come Sunday and even stay the night if that would help. I am available Monday.
I love you!
If they continue to be fussy, you may want to consider having their ears checked...that would have been the answer with you girls.

love mom

Lana said...

Oh, I hate that everyone has been sick. It's bad enough when it is the little ones, but then you and the hubs too- horrible. Hopefully, you are all feeling better and have enjoyed your weekend. :) Lana

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey,
I stumbled over your blog today and I just had to tell you I'm enjoying your blog. Your awesome. I became a follower and I'm looking forward to keeping up and leaving comments. I hope you will check out my blog, and become a follower. I have a button, and I'd like to add you to my blog roll. I hope you have a lovely weekend. God Bless You and Yours

http://diaryofhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

Love,
Jess

Stephanie said...

How is everybody feeling?