Saturday, September 18, 2010

Still alive

Hey all, thanks for all your sweet comments, emails, and texts. We are still alive here and Momma finally found a free moment to catch up on some blogging (but sadly, still very behind on blogreading. There seems to be just barely enough time for me to blog myself, and rarely time for me to catch up on blogs...I miss reading and keeping up with so many of you...=( ) I am trying to remind myself that it's just not my Season to have a lot of free time. Someday, many years from now, the kids will be grown and out of the house, and I will have free time galore. But I try not to ever let myself long for those days -even for a moment- and instead try to always remain fully present in today...for I know that if I spend too much time now longing for that time, once I get there, I will only find myself longing for this time in my life and wishing I had enjoyed it more.

Did ya follow that?

Anyways...


It's so nice to all be feeling better around here lately. The babies still have runny noses, but I am wondering if that's more teething related...(no little white buds poking through just yet, but I have a feeling any day now). Having the whole family sick was...brutal. Not since the babies were first home from the hospital have I felt so stretched beyond my ability to give. Last Thursday morning after David left for work, after an awful nights sleep, and after Luke woke up from his twenty minute nap right as my head hit the pillow in hopes for a nap of my own, I just burst into tears. It just felt too. hard.

But we made it.

While we are over our colds though, it seems we've been trading one ailment for another around here over the last two weeks. This last week included a scratched cornea (mine) and a spasming back (David's).

Tuesday morning I leaned down under the Baby Enistien playmat's dangling toys to give my son a zerbert on his belly. In the process I raked my open eyeball on one of the fuzzy squirrels we have hanging from there. It hurt, but not too bad. That day it just seemed to water like crazy, which was a strange sensation. Then Tuesday night I went to sleep, and when Abbey woke me to eat at 12:30am I opened my eye and found it to be extremely painful. I couldn't believe how bad it hurt. I nursed Abbey, put her back in her crib, and then proceeded to lay awake for the next 2 hours in pain. I finally dug in my nightstand drawer for some left over pain meds from my c-section. That awarded me some sleep. In the morning I sat and watched the clock turn to 7:00am so I could be the first to call my doctors office when they opened. They gave me a 7:30am appointment time. My eye was bright red, my eyelid was ridiculously swollen, and I was in still in a significant amount of pain. So much so that when David asked if he should drive me to my appointment, I told him no, that I didn't want to pack up the babies because I had no idea how long this would take...in the back of my mind I seriously believed there could be a trip to the operating room in my future.

I saw my doctor who examined me and said she "didn't like what she saw" and promptly walked me across the hall where an Eye Clinic was blessedly located. She got me right in there, and after an exam I was officially diagnosed with a "corneal abrasion".

Do you know what you do for a corneal abrasion? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He gave me some antibiotic eyedrops to keep an infection out since I not only had a scratch but a "flap" on my eyeball. Then I was told in 24-48 hours I would be feeling better. I was seriously stunned that something so painful could have no better cure. I think my doctor sensed my shock because she gave me an RX for pain meds =). I was also told I needed to keep my eye shaded from light to avoid blinking too much. I was offered a patch or the option of wearing my sunglasses all day. I opted for the latter, which earned me the nickname of "Hollywood" at work that day.
Fun times.

Then this morning while reaching to remove the cat from the window sill, David threw out his back. Seriously. The poor guy is honestly in good shape and naturally athletic, but he has a bad back. Carting around two almost-6-month-olds hasn't really given it any breaks lately, and I don't see many in his future either.



This week did include some fun stuff as well, like my littlest sister Emily coming over for a night and honoring us by sharing all about her recent month long mission trip to Russia. I am immensely proud of her, and it was so neat to hear all about her experience.

And last night after the babies went to bed, David and I ignored the dishes in the sink and the laundry in the dryer, and ordered a pizza for dinner and sat together and watched this movie...
...which I really liked.


And with that, I better end this rambling blog entry and finish my ice cream (the diet is going well, thanks for asking) and head to bed. Tomorrow is a busy day. It'll be Luke & Abbey's first day in the nursery! We have always just kept them in the service with us, but now they are getting too chatty for that =). I can't believe they are big enough to go down to the nursery. It's going to be so weird to sit in Church without a baby on my lap! Then we have our first small group meeting tomorrow evening. Our Church does small group once a week during the fall/winter/spring, and it's starting back up again. This will be the first time Dave and I have attended, and we are really looking forward to it. For the most part. If I am being totally honest I will say that I am a little nervous it's going to throw off bedtime and make for an awful night. The babies usually eat "dinner" (cereal for Ab's, solid's for Luke) around 6pm, then bath time around 6:30, then lotion & jammies and nurse around 7:00pm, and off to bed between 7:15 and 7:30pm. Small group starts at 5:00 and goes until 6:30pm, then we will still have to drive home. We are going to feed the babies before we leave, and then just skip bath tomorrow night. I have spent more time worrying about how this is going to throw us off than is necessary, I am sure. But hey it's an occupational hazard. =).

'Night all!

8 comments:

nbrown said...

I've scratched my cornea TWICE before. I remember how brutally painful it is. Hope it's all sealed up again. :) Though I may have elected for the patch... Halloween is coming up, you know.

Linda Lee Brown Ayers said...

So how was your Sunday night? I believe God is faithful to us when we set aside the time, so I'm praying it went well.
I chuckled at your first comments about years from now having time galore. If you spread your kids our like you and your sisters, you can have a pre-schooler for 18 straight years. I LOVED it.....You WILL remember only the great time...I promise. I love you, mom

Aunt Carol said...

Loved catching up on the Hoffman family. Sorry for all the ailments, but hopefully everyone is on the mend now. Hopefully sleep is becoming more plentiful.

Vanessa's Dad said...

Ann & I enjoyed "Away We Go" too. Glad I was not there watching with you for that opening scene. Makes you wonder what you're in for... but the movie was fun, and had a message. Don't know what it would be like to watch with babies.

Glad you are feeling better, and recovering from illnesses and injuries. Love your perspective on this season of life.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD

Heather said...

Ah, so good to "hear" from you. It's funny, because I am not the least bit squeamish, but the flap of eyeball bit made me a little queasy. OUCH!

Hope church went well today- in the nursery and all. Have a wonderful week!

Mary said...

Oh I was going to tell you, I finally made it to see Ramona and Beezus---extremely cute!! Thought of you :-)

I hope your eye is feeling better, as well as hubbys back. You guys need a nice easy few weeks!

Hang in there mama, enjoy your little ones!

Lauren said...

So great to get caught up with you!! And hope your eye gets to feeling better. Love and miss you girl!!!

Lana said...

So glad to see that everything is looking up in your neck of the woods. It always seems like when it rains it pours, huh?! When you have a chance (haha) stop by my blog to "claim" your blogging award. :) Lana