Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sick and Tired of being sick and tired

Enough already.

Monday night both babies developed wicked coughs, so yesterday I took them to their doctor. Little did I know at that taking two busy, fussy 10 month olds to the doctor by myself would be one of the easiest parts of the day. Luckily, our doctor is WONDERFUL, and decided that ordering them steroids would hopefully help things and prevent anything further from happening. Yea.

Seems simple enough.

And in theory, it was. Actually getting our hands on the meds was another story. Three separate trips to the pharmacy across town (hard to find a place that can compound it into a liquid and without alcohol) and I finally had my hands on them. I literally cried tears of gratefulness as I drove away. I was (am) SO worried about my babies, and I hated that the doctor had said we needed to get this med in them as soon as possible, and it was nearly seven hours later that I finally could even pick them up.

And today I am finding that while my doctor did warn me the steroids were likely to make the babies "irritable", I believe a more accurate warning would have been "Satan himself is going to borrow your children for awhile". They fuss and cry and reach for me to pick them up, and I do, and they instantly fuss and cry and reach to be put down. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Oh. My. Word.

It's not even 11am, and they are down for their third nap of the day. The day started at 4:30am, and they've been tolerating less than 1.5 hours of wakefulness and then going down for 20-40 minute catnaps.



Oh, and to the creators of Airborne: You suck. You had me all hopeful last night that I was assaulting any bugs wanting to overtake me when I felt sniffly and chugged a class of your vitamins, only to wake up this morning all stuffy and hoarse myself.



Ahem.



In an effort to change my tone, I am going to take cues from Beth and Sarah, and focus on all that I have to be grateful for...


...I am grateful I only have to work 15 hours a week outside of the house, and that today is a day I am home all day, with no where to go and nothing to do except meet the needs of my babies...

...I am grateful I live in a country where I have easy access to doctors and medicine, for there are many mothers out there who have to watch their children needlessly suffer...

...I am grateful for the amazing health insurance our children have, for there are many, many, TOO MANY children out there without any insurance...

...I am grateful for my husband's job. Although it takes a leap of faith every single term trusting that God will provide, this term it allows him to not have to leave until 9:00am and to be home by 3:30pm most days...there are so many single parents out there, and I do not know how they do it. Lord, give them strength...

...although two tiny viles of medicine cost us $70 last night, I will not complain, but instead be very grateful God has provided the money to pay for that without hesitation. There are many in the world do not have that luxury...

...I am grateful that for the majority of their 10 months of life, Lucas and Abigail have been very healthy. Lord, please be with those parents who have chronically ill children...bring healing and peace and comfort and mercy...

...I am grateful for my sister, who was so gracious as we messed up her entire day yesterday. And who never once made us feel bad about all the work that she missed in an effort to allow both David and I to get to our jobs. Lord, be with those that don't have any family to help them...

...I am grateful for family and friends that will pray for us...

...I am grateful that I even have two unpleasable babies today. Lord, I can close my eyes and remember how much I longed to be a mother. Thank you for letting me be. There are many women out there who would give anything to be in my shoes...


Thank you, Father. I am truly blessed beyond measure.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Been there, done that wit the steroids experience! Hadn't I ever mentioned that Tink turned into the spawn the moment that liquid touches her sweet little lips? Yeah, but at least she can breathe! Poor babies. Hugs to all. I'll be praying for you!

Lauren said...

I know exactly what the reaching and crying to be picked up and then reaching and crying to be put down is like. Noah gets like that often. I find the best thing to do when he's like that is just sit or lay on the floor. He's happiest when I do that, because I feel most accessible to him that way. He can have me and the floor and his toys at the same time.

Good luck with your poor sick babies and your poor sick self. Not fun!

Linda Lee Brown Ayers said...

IV Steroids are often used for MS flare ups. Fortunately I have not had to have them in many years.

I REMEMBER like yesterday how hyped up they made me. I told the doctor "you just want me to come paint your house" because I couldn't sleep. I also remember being very, very edgy and irritable (find your own word which rhymes with "witch" here).

They certainly work magic in the MS situations and I know your doctor has your very best interests in mind here. We can be thankful we don't live even 50 years ago without these meds.

I am fighting an infection here, myself, or I'd be there. Praying for you.

Love, mom

Guy and Julie said...

Shepherd just finished a round of steroids, and I laughed out loud at your description. PERFECT! I thought it was going to kill us all by day 3, and he had 6 days of it! Good news, though, by the 2nd or 3rd day off of it, he was back to his old cheerful self. And it helped his breathing tremendously. so worth it when it's all said and done.

Aunt Carol said...

I laughed so hard at your comment about Satan borrowing your children!