Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pictures =)

Thank you so much for all your input to my last post...some great suggestions! I just LOVE blogging and the network it opens up!

I am so relieved that the overwhelming response was NOT to let them cry it out, I just don't have it in me =). I understand when they are older that may be something we need to do, but right now they are just so tiny and helpless and I just them to feel comforted when they need it. I want them to always know their needs will be met!

We still have a long way to go, but I am hopeful to try some of your suggestions. Abbey took at least 45 minutes to fall back asleep after each and every feeding last night. I tried something new each time...but nothing did the trick. She falls asleep when she is done nursing, stays asleep for like 10 minutes in the crib, and then is up...and not able to be settled...trial and error I suppose...and time =)

Sunday we had a super angry Abbey most of the afternoon and evening. Tried some gripe water (thanks for the tip Sally!) and that seemed to help some. David was able to comfort her with the "5 S's" of Happiest Baby on the Block (haven't read it or watched it in it's entirety, but we did catch some of it back in November at our feeding and care for multiples class). Later in the evening Abbey and I took a bath together...it was so nice. Not only was it soothing for her, but the skin to skin contact so good for us both after feeling like we were frustrated with each other during the afternoon =).

Anyways, here are some new pictures from the last few days...


I think Lucas looks like a little turtle here (an adorable turtle!!)



Luke trying to nurse on Daddy's nose =)


Daddy and Abigail


How he can nap like this I have no idea...I guess he was just meant to be a father of twins!



During one of Abbey's fussy sessions Sunday afternoon we put her in the bouncy seat with her brother (they like to be close together) and she fussed and fussed for a bit, and a minute later we looked down and saw this...


they had linked up arms..."come on, we can get through this together!"

Oh be still my heart!!

15 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah for pressing on! That picture of the babes with their arms linked... precious!

I completely forgot to mention The Happiest Baby... swaddling and shushing always worked well for Sassy.

I started laughing outloud when you said that Luke looks like a turtle. I'll have to dig up some old pictures, but I used to say that about Sassy all the time. Tyler would look at me like I was insane, and I would reassure him that i meant nothing besides the cutest.turtle.EVER, but turtle nonetheless! :) Must be something about their scrawny necks at this age.

David is just positively sweet in that picture with the babies on the couch. You must be so proud!

Lori said...

Ok, Kendra that last picture just made me cry. So precious. They are so perfect, and the pictures were the highlight of my day!!

Heather said...

OHHHHHH--those arms linked together. I almost can't stand it. That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. What a blessing that you have them....and they have YOU and their Daddy and each other!!!

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

Jude loves to try and eat my nose too!!!

Amanda said...

Abbey! Abbey! Abbey! Says your niece excitedly. Poor Luke. Cadence has already found a favorite. To be fair though, when I point to Luke and ask her who that is, she thinks that's Abbey too....

Way too young to CIO. Maybe around 6 months but even then I think I waited much much longer to let Cadence CIO. And by that point she would cry to the point of throwing up. Um, come to think of it, in two and a half years Cadence has rarely had to CIO...and perhaps that's why I have such a hard time getting her down everytime- she's knows how to work her Mama! Jelly Bean on the other hand we started letting her CIO right at about 6 months and she's a dream at naptime and bedtimes. She knows we mean sleeptime. But you have many months before they are 6 months old.

Oh and just a thought, does Abbey have to go back in the crib after eating? Can she sit in a bouncer or a swing or a boppy instead? She might have a little reflux and laying flat in the crib after eating might be uncomfortable for her.

Your bathtime sounds heavenly. Wish I could have done that with my girls.
I can't decide which picture is more precious- David on the couch with both babies looking so relaxed or both babies linking arms in the bouncer. Too cute!!!

Sarah said...

So cute!!! My 2yo is fascinated too.

Just wanted to say that I love the John Lennon Carter's onesie that Luke is in in one of the pics! :) I think we have the same one and it is one of my absolute favorites.

Vanessa's Dad said...

Very precious photo's... especially the linked arms. Yes, we can get through this together.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD

Lianna Knight said...

Oh my goodness....those last two pics are TOO adorable! Luke is already taking care of his little sister :)

Toni :O) said...

Oh my gosh, I have to agree with others...those arms linked up is SO precious and adorable. I think you should frame that one for sure! Hope things continue to improve for you and trying to settle them down. It's definitely hard (my daughter didn't sleep through the night for 12 months, but don't let that scare you, I'm certain yours aren't like that!) but it does get easier as they get older. Good luck!

Melody said...

That last picture... TOOOOOO precious!

Stephanie said...

Okay, the last two pictures melted my heart. How cute are those kids?!

Stephanie said...

Hey Kendra, one more suggestion about infants -

I was so afraid to try things the first time around because I was afraid of starting bad habits - rocking them to sleep, letting them sleep in the swing, sound machines, whatever. I was afraid I'd have a three-year-old who couldn't sleep without being rocked for 45 minutes first that I would fret and fret over what I should be doing.

What I've learned - from teaching and my experience as a parent - is the opposite. At this age, they aren't yet making associations. In other words, they won't learn cause and effect until they are closer to a year. At this age, all they are learning is to trust you. So they may sleep exclusively in a swing right now, and then drop the habit completely at 6 months, without you ever having to "teach" or "retrain" them. Same with rocking, or crying it out to go to sleep. There was a window when my kids just lost interest in being rocked to sleep, and when that happened, I took it as an opportunity to change a habit without many tears. Right now - do what works. Don't worry too much about the future, because chances are, it will resolve itself without you ever having to worry too much about it.

Family of 5 said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Those pictures steal my heart away...I kept smiling at all of them and at the end pics of them linking arms ...WOW!!!! YOU need to enter it into a contest or frame it in their room...adorable!

Unknown said...

The last pic is the sweetest pic I've ever seen and the pic of them both with their daddy is a close second. So sweet! Hang in there girl. Being a parent is difficult and some days you want to pull your hair out, but as you know, it's all worth it. You will barely remember this difficult time in a few months!

Lauren said...

Those last pictures are BEYOND precious!!!!!