Wednesday, August 18, 2010

For the good of the order

-I started running again. Or shall I say, I have attempted running again. It wasn't pretty. I clopped along at the pace of a turtle and with the grace of a dump truck. Even in my "glory days" of running, I would never call myself a real runner, but I was still shocked at how far I had fallen. I LOVED being pregnant, and am very grateful for the experience of not only getting to be pregnant, but also carrying our twins to term, but it sure did a number on my body. Being on partial bed rest for 2 months and full for 1 made for some atrophied muscles. Not to mention my bones, joints and ligaments don't feel like my own after being stretched to magnificent measures during the pregnancy. I did not feel confident of my abilities as I trudged along, not quite trusting my legs and feet to carry me and land the way I intended them to. But, I gotta start somewhere.


-And on that same page, it took me only about 10 minutes into my run before I realized that my running shoes were too small for me. It appears pregnancy stretched out my feet, which I should not be surprised by, given to massive amount of swelling I had both during the end of my pregnancy and for weeks after. ( I really should have taken a picture of it. Apparently my blood pressure dropped dangerously during my c-section, and so they pumped me full of fluids. I was SO swollen for literally 2 weeks after delivery. To the point where I had welts on my feet because the fluid had no where else to go. I am surprised I don't have stretch marks on them!) Upon coming home from my run, I tried on several other pairs of shoes and came to the sad conclusion that it was not just my running shoes that are too small. Time to say good-bye to these dear friends....




-My son has taken on parrot-like tendencies when it comes to sleep time. In order to break him of the swaddle, and help "cue" sleep time, we have given the babies lovies to hold as they fall asleep. Luke insists on putting his directly over his face. That, apparently, signals "sleep" to him. It's the funnies thing to watch. He squirms and wiggles around, playing with his lovie, and then he will take part of it in each hand, pull it over his face, and instantly stop wiggling. When you reach over and gently pull it down, his eyes are closed. If he is not totally asleep yet, he will grimace and tug it back over his face. Silly boy. This of course FREAKED me out for the last few days, to the point where I would insist on checking on him multiple times. If I found him to be really asleep, I would pull the lovie away from his face and place it next to his face...only to find it back over his face the next time I came back in to check on him. At least it's relatively thin and small...


-Speaking of Lucas, he has started to become quite dangerous with his braces on. He has been lifting his legs and let them fall down with a triumphant "thump" for a long time now (kind of like how a whale flicks his tail), but lately there is much more force behind it, and he can wiggle all over the place now. Yesterday after the babies woke up from their nap, David laid them side by side in Luke's crib and turned on the mobile for them to watch for a bit. He left the room for a few minutes, and then heard Abbey starting to fuss. He came back in to find they both had shifted positions, and Abbey had some red marks on her legs...from her brother beating her with his weapon (AKA shoe braces.)


-Abbey has started up a new habit of exclaiming. That's really the only word I can find that begins to describe this new habit. It's like she is trying to figure out how to laugh...or probably more accurately just seeing what her voice can do. She does this shriek/cough thing, then looks confused, as if to say "that's not what I wanted to do..." but then a rye smile creeps across her face as if to say "but it was close!". She is too cute.


-I bought the babies Halloween costumes last week. Yes, you read that sentence correctly. I bought Halloween costumes. For my infants. In August. Ridiculous? Possibly. But I don't care. Costco had baby costumes for $12.99 and even though our budget is so tight this month it squeaks, I couldn't resist!!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

My daughter, Lily just turned 6 months and she does the same thing as Luke. it's almost like having a blanket over her face is soothing to her. it's the only way she'll fall asleep! esp. at nap time! it took be about a week straight of panicking before i realized shes fine.

I bet they look adorable all snuggled up with the Lovies!

Alexis said...

Kendra, I've been such a comment slacker for the longest time now, and I'm so so sorry. Little Luke and Abbey sound so precious! And you and Dave sound like you're having so much fun with them. Aren't babies such a blessing?! Oh, and by the way, did you hear our news?

Heather said...

Isn't the shoe situation sad? I had to say good-bye to many, many favorites, too. I would implore you to hang in a bit, just in case... it can take up to a year for things to settle and returnt o normal. Having said that, don't get your hopes up. It's probably inevitable that you will not fit into the shoes. Ugh.

I laughed out lous reading about Licas's lovie fiasco, and his "weapons". Too cute! Can't wait to see those Halloween costumes... in a few months. Don;t feel bad- I already have Little A's costume purchased, too. My reasoning more resembles attempting to not fixate on the topic. You know... just decide and move on. :P

Aunt Carol said...

Running after Luke and Abbey is going to give you all sorts of exercise, Kendra. Never fear.

I'm looking forward to seeing pix of the kids in their Halloween costumes.

The Writer Chic said...

Any chance you wear 7.5? If so, i want your brown peep toes with the ankle strap! ;)

And I don't blame you for the costume purchase. I almost got on for Erin, too, on Saturday, at, yep -- Costco -- but I'm still not sure what size she'll need. we're still in nb onesies... Which ones did you get? Please tell me Luke is gonna be the monkey.... ;)

Heather said...

I am about to order my kids' costumes this week, too!!! :) And I feel you on the running. The first few times I went after both of my pregnancies it was like "WHAT has happened to my body?!?!?" But it will get better, I promise.

Kaycee said...

Oh me too, me too! I was so mad that my feet were not only bigger but wider after my pregnancy! Had to buy all new shoes for exercise and work. The only ones I got away with using still were flip-flops! So I have much sympathy for you on this one.

Your twins are just gorgeous and I love how you love them! Thanks for sharing them with us here. :)

Vanessa's Dad said...

"I love how you love them." What a sweet turn of phrase. So true.

Moving well is as important as eating. Think of it as Vitamin M.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD