Thursday, August 12, 2010

Some pics & a ramble

These are actually from earlier this week, but I finally downloaded them off the camera.

On Sunday I dressed Abbey in an outfit I had been eyeing at Target forever. It finally made it's way to the clearance rack, and then into my cart.

She was as pleased to be wearing it as I was to be dressing her in it...


Both the babes dressed and ready to go...complete with footwear...

It took me longer than I had planned to get myself and both babies ready that morning, and when I glanced at the clock as I got ready to load us all up, I realized we were set to be pulling into the Church parking lot about 5 minutes after the service started. This meant if I texted Dave "we're here" to come help me unload the babies, I would be pulling him away from his duties in the sound booth right as the worship songs were starting. Not the ideal time for the sound man to disappear.

So, I got creative. And in a rare moment of maternal confidence, I grabbed the sling and loaded us up in the van. Upon arriving at Church, I got Abbey out of her car seat and put her in the sling. Then I threw my purse over my shoulder. Then I went around to the other side of the van, unhooked Luke's car seat from it's base (complete with a sleeping Luke inside of said car seat) and carried it in the crook of my right arm.
As I walked into the building, I realized it was one of the first moments I actually felt like I was doing this Twin Mom Thing. Most of the time I feel like a poser.

It felt good.

I know there are plenty of you out there that have no qualms about loading up your infant twins, or your four children under the age of five and heading out and about by yourself. I am not one of you. The idea of having two babies out in public by myself makes me nervous. One baby, sure. I often will take one of the babes with me to run errands and feel totally fine about it. But two babies...and just me...eek, makes my palms sweat. I am just not confident enough in my ability to calm them (while keeping myself calm) if they both meltdown at the same time. And nursing both at the same time in public is not an option-for logistical reasons. So I haven't really attempted to take them anywhere by myself except for a quick mostly-in-the-car errand or two. For the first few months of life with my twins, I felt bad about this. Now I just accept it. Someday, I may be brave enough to attempt a trip to the grocery store, just me and the Littles, but not yet. And honestly probably not anytime soon. And that's ok. I have realized it doesn't make me an unfit mother, just a bit of a chicken =), Or, perhaps a very wise mother who just knows her limits...Yes, I will choose to stick with that one.

6 comments:

Keri said...

I am a chicken too....and I only have one! Love the Target outfit. Try to keep your eyes open for "Family Restrooms". We have several around here and they usually have a couch in them...I had no idea they existed when I was breastfeeding.

I bet you looked like supermom walking into church!

Lauren said...

Way to go, Momma. And they are adorable as ALWAYS!!!!!!

Jen S. said...

WAY TO GO Kendra!! That's awesome :)

By the way, your "Littles" are the cutest little babies ever :)

Love all the pics.

Have a great day!!

Vanessa's Dad said...

Your are a great mom, Kendra. David is a great dad. You guys are doing great.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD

Nink said...

I think you're a wise mom, not an unfit one. ;) I remember my daughter at your twins' age and just going out with her was hard enough, let alone the possibility of double trouble! And that pic you posted of the twins in the carseats makes them look like identical twins. If it wasn't for that pink bow and different outfits, they would look identical. You're blessed beyond words to have them.

~Bobbi @ www.thejohnsonsjourney.com

beckylbranch said...

I have anxiety just getting out with one! You are doing so good and those babies are just adorable! I was going to reply to your comment on the breastfeeding....when I pump I just try to do something else and not focus on the actual pumping. I either watch tv or read a book, listen to music....it makes it easier and then your mind won't be so consumed. You are such a good Momma and feeding two is quite the task! Making it on time these days anywhere is a chore...just remember you are not alone MOMMA! Love, Becky B.