Friday, June 11, 2010

Priorities

As I sit down to type this, there is a layer of dust a half an inch thick across every surface of my house. There is cat hair literally static clung to my curtains. My daughters 0-3 month clothes have been washed in Dreft, dried, and folded, and have sat that way on the kitchen table for over 24 hours now. The top of my stove has a dirty pot, frying pan, and baking sheet on top of it. My shower is in desperate, and I mean desperate, need of a deep clean. The hamper in Dave and I's room overfloweth. I have showered, but not done my hair or put on any make up, let alone brushed my teeth yet today.

Why?

Because I have 10 1/2 week old twins.

And because I have 10 1/2 week old twins, my life B.T. (before twins) is no longer.

And let me be clear, I would not have it any other way. I absolutely love my children. I would not trade them for anything. ANYTHING.

But, it's hard.

Motherhood is hard.

Having two newborns is hard.

Really hard.

When David and I were dealing with unexplained infertility, there were few things I hated more than mothers who complained about their babies. Whether they had legitimate reason to complain or not, I couldn't stand it. I would always think to myself "I would give my right arm to be up with a screaming baby at 3am! How can you possibly complain when you have everything I want?" I vowed to never be one of those women who complained and caused my friends who were still on the other side of infertility to think "oh how quickly she has forgotten..."

Friends, I have not forgotten. Just the other day Lucas was fussy and would cry his eyes out if I so much as motioned like I was going to sit down. He wanted to be held, and walked around. And that was that. And you know what? I didn't mind a bit. I said to him "oh my son, I cried tears just like that while I was waiting for you". And it's true. I often can be found leaning over the crib with my two sleeping babes in it, just staring over them, praying over them, admiring God's handiwork. I remember how much we wanted them, how long we waited for them. I remember how hard the wait was.

I know what I have. I am grateful for it everyday.

But that doesn't mean it isn't hard.

And a lot of what's hard about it is it isn't going how I thought it would. How I dreamed it would.
There can be danger in spending years building something up in your mind.

A few weeks ago I sat in front of my husband and sobbed the words "I am not the mother I thought I would be". I was exhausted. Truly exhausted. And my house -which I pride myself on keeping orderly- was a disaster zone. I hadn't showered in like 36 hours, and going to the bathroom felt like a luxury.

I was having a hard time.

I simply could not do it all.

Something had to give.

Well, lots of things actually.

Like myself. Gone are the days of my beloved 20 minute showers. Gone are the days of straightening and styling my hair. Gone are the days of putting on make up. Gone are the days of filing my nails. Gone are the days of wearing anything that I don't mind being spit up on.

And then my house. Gone are the days where my floors were clean, vacuum lines showing in my carpet. Gone are the days where my bed was made every day. Gone are the days when my hamper never filled above the brim. Gone are the days when my sink never saw dirty dishes for more than 5 minutes.

And you know what, it's ok.

I am learning to let it be ok.

It's not easy. I have to fight my natural urges to be distracted by the messes. I have to fight myself to focus on what's really important.

While there is peace to be found in order, I need to strike a balance that swings heavily the other way. Disorder. Disorder in my home and in myself so that I can enjoy my children more.
When I cried those words to David, what was at the heart of it was my sadness over my inability to just sit and enjoy my babies. I found myself wishing they would fall asleep or be content so that I could get things done. I would rock them to sleep and stare at the dust gathering on the entertainment center, just waiting for them to be out so that I could clean it. I hated that my house was in such disarray, and I couldn't force myself to focus on anything else, no matter how much I wanted to. I would find myself thinking things like "it'll be easier to stay on top of things once they are a little older and taking longer, more timely naps..." and then one day, I realized mid-thought, that I was essentially wishing away this time in my childrens lives. This time that is so precious. This time that we won't get back.
And I hated myself for it.

So, I have made it a matter of prayer and determination to be better about letting other things go. My email inbox is out of control. I am behind on phone calls and thank you notes. I don't have time to do my hair, and so won't like the way I look in pictures. My bathroom mirror is going to have spots on it awhile longer. But you know what? It's ok. I will have stared into my precious son and my precious daughters eyes. I will have talked to them and listened, undistracted, to them "talk"back. Years from now, it won't matter to me what my house looked like during these days, but it will matter that I spent time with my babies. I know I will regret feeling like I was not present with them for their early days, so I have to make some changes now.

I am aware that will things will get easier, and the babies will require a little less of me as time goes on, but I am also aware that this new mindset of letting things be less than I think they should be is gonna have to stick around for awhile, as in a few years at least. Luke & Abbey are only going to be little babies for awhile, and then only little toddlers for awhile, and on and on and on...

I am trying to lower my standards as to how things should look or how our day should go, because when I set the bar too high (or really, set it at all) I am only setting us up to fail, and that's not fair to the babies or to me. When I put too many things on my "to do" list for the day, I end up frustrated with myself, and feeling inadequate. I end up frustrated with my babies, for needing so much attention. And obviously, that's not fair to them. I do not want to allow this trend to continue. After all, it's not their fault we bought a house with white subway tiles for bathroom flooring that show every single speck of dust or dirt.

So if you plan on stopping by to visit, please excuse the mess, and my breath. I haven't had -or made- the time to clean my house, or possibly brush my teeth. I have been too busy playing with my sweet little miracle children.

**addendum added below**

18 comments:

Lori said...

Oh Kendra, I will be praying for you. The thing is, I see myself in you so much. I see myself doing and thinking and wishing all those same things when/if we ever have little ones. I am such a perfectionist. And I totally agree with you about the danger in thinking about something and what it will be like. I do that all time right now. I imagine how perfect it will be once we have our little blessing. But I fail to remind myself of how hard it will be as well. Kendra, You ARE such a great mom. You are a fabulous mom. What people forget about women going through IF, is that with each year that goes by without a baby, we get more used to having everything our way all the time, and having everything in the home perfect. So once the little ones come I'm sure it will be a huge transition!

Kaycee said...

I think you have your priorities absolutely in order (not that my opinion really matters). And just because you wanted it and appreciate it doesn't mean it's not hard. It is. It's constantly finding the balance between all the different things in your life. But I totally agree that family comes first. That they won't be little for very long. That this is a precious time but it is so easy to be distracted by that dust and that to-do list. I think we make adjustments to our expectations all the time, and that's good. You have to find the balance for this time in your life, and when things change a little you will work to find a new balance. But I love how you love your babies. It's a beautiful thing. The most important thing. And everyone who knows that won't even see the dust or the teeth. They will just see the love.

Kaycee said...

I think you have your priorities absolutely in order (not that my opinion really matters). And just because you wanted it and appreciate it doesn't mean it's not hard. It is. It's tough to try find the balance between all the different things in your life. But I totally agree that family comes first. That they won't be little for very long. That this is a precious time but it is so easy to be distracted by that dust and that to-do list.

I think we make adjustments to our expectations all the time, and that's good. You have to find the balance for this time in your life, and when things change a little you will work to find a new balance. But I love how you love your babies. It's a beautiful thing. The most important thing. And everyone who knows that won't even see the dust or the teeth. They will just see the love.

Keri said...

Dirty house, join the club! I almost blogged a picture of a can of Endust that was covered in dust....but I didnt have time..haha. I am SO glad your house is a mess because it means your priorities are straight. I wish I left my house a little more dirty when my Luke was born because I cant believe how quickly the time passes.

Keri said...

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Guy and Julie said...

Thank you for posting this. I needed it.

Lauren said...

WOW!!!!! This is a heart of a mother that I hope to have one day!!!!!! Love you, Kendra!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Be proud of what you do have. I have 2 grown boys 18 and 23 and I still can't keep the things done that need done. It will always be there. Pride yourself in what you have and be grateful that God has granted his wish upon you. Love them while you can, cause they wont be babies long. You are a wonderful mom.

Linda Lee Brown Ayers said...

Kendra...Your post really touched my heart. Before I was even married and was working full time I wondered what women who stayed home with kids did all day.

Aunt Kay made me a needlepoint when I was pregnant with Amanda. It read: "Cobwebs be still; Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." I only had one at a time, too.

I do like to do housework and would be happy to come help you. I have a nasty cold right now but as you stare at the clutter know that I will come help when I'm well. Chuck also enjoys cleaning. So, if you don't mind having a man around, he'll come too.
I love you. mom

Aunt Carol said...

Kendra, you constantly amaze me with your wonderful way with words. You don't amaze me being a wonderful mother because I knew that's what you would be. Your priorities are absolutely correct. You will never look back on life and think: I sure wish I had spent more time on housework and makeup when Luke and Abbey were babies.

Love, Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but I like to read your blog. We have a son who will turn 1 next month and I made it a rule to not clean or worry about cleaning while he is awake. Now he is older he entertains himself and I can get things done but I already miss when all he needed was to be held. Keep doing what you're doing. Make precious memories. They are absolutely gorgeous children :) Its nice to walk into some ones home that looks and feels lived in. It means there is a happy family living there.

Amanda said...

I needed this Little Sister. My house is a mess, but unlike you, my house is always a mess :) So the messiness doesn't bother me as much as I know it must bother you. Your house was always pristine and organized. But yes, you have your priorities spot on. And good for you for recognizing that you got what you always wanted, but it's still hard. That's hard to have what you always wanted cause a little pain and discomfort because then you (or at least I always did) feel like I was being ungrateful to God for blessing me with my heart's desire. And good for you for blogging about it too. Blogging is a good forum and getting your thoughts out is very very healthy.

And by the way, as someone who has had Mom fly down 4 times in the last year, I can say she truly does enjoy cleaning and can have your house looking spotless for you :)

You are doing a terrific job raising those beautiful babies. Savor those little "talks" with your little ones. Some day they'll be teens who will simply grunt at you.

Heather said...

Girl, this is so true for all mothers!!! It is so hard when you are someone who likes order and clean-ness (and showers- ha!) to make yourself just sit and enjoy the moments when you are thinking "Man, I need to be doing...." I am SOOOOO like that. I think it is a constant battle to find the balance, esp. when you stay home with your kids. You can spend all day playing with them....or all day doing chores....or somewhere in between. But that "middle ground" is elusive to me most days!!! I will be praying for you, my friend! Wish I lived closer and I would come over and dust some furniture and wash some dishes!!! :)

Heather said...

Balance has been my number one struggle as a Mom. And guilt. The combination of striving for balance and experiencing guilt can be SO overwhelming! I remember writing this post after I read this poem on my friend's facebook page... http://hleggett.blogspot.com/2009/05/babies-dont-keep.html...

I hope these words make you feel better about what you place high on your priority list. Oh, and for proof that this is an age-old dilemma... this author published poetry in the 50's. :)

Brian Gates said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're learning to let it go.

Two things -

The first is, what helped me the most in just letting it go was to pray for the grace to do what GOD wanted me to do that day - not for the things I wanted to do (or thought I needed to do), but to do what God had set out for me. It really helped me learn to refocus.

Also, a poem that someone shared with me. I love the last line.

Song for a Fifth Child

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

(from Stephanie, on Brian's computer)

Jen S. said...

I remember feeling the same exact way when Jeven was a baby! Thank you for sharing your feelings with us Kendra.
You are such an amazing Mom, and I'm lucky to call you friend.
Give those babies a big hug from me XO

Lianna Knight said...

I appreciate this post SO much Kendra!!! I can totally see how overwhelmed having TWO newborns can be. I too am a NEAT freak and want everything to be perfect. Sometimes I can't even go to sleep when I know that something is out of place or needs to be done :(

But, you are so correct that the only thing(s) that matter are those precious gifts from God.

You are so very blessed friend!

The Writer Chic said...

Erin may be turning six weeks old tomorrow, but it is also the FIRST DAY I'm flying solo since the weekend before she was born. From May 1 until today, we had one parent or another here with us (or me, while Jim was in Taiwan), and so I have yet to tackle anything on my "own." And I've been living in fear of what reality will look like Monday morning.

So, here I am today, Sunday afternoon, with Erin asleep in her swing, Seth in his bed, and jetlagged Jim on on the couch, and in the midst of scurrying about the kitched and living room, picking up empty green tea bottles and baby bottles and dishwasher detergent bottles, I stopped to read this, and I SO needed it.

Yet another wonderful reason I am so thankful that we have been and continue to be on this journey with our little ones together.

xoxoxo