Monday, July 5, 2010

List-style Monday

**Thrush update- Luke's little mouth is already looking A LOT better, and he's only had 3 rounds of the little mouth wash...Hooray! Abbey's is looking about the same, but she didn't have it as bad as him to begin with. Looks like we are on the right track. I am still dealing with cracking, redness, and soreness externally and sharp shooting pains internally. But, hopefully we will see an end to that soon too. (Thanks Lindsay for the "cocktail"! The ped had only recommended Monistat for me so that's all I had been using. The cortisone and ointment are very helpful for the itching and soreness.) The babies don't seem too bothered by all this, and it could be argued that it's making me fussier than it is them. =). I don't mean to be a whiner, but last night the shooting pains were so bad I actually took a pain pill left over from my c-section!



**Thank you for the great crockpot recipe ideas! I am looking forward to trying all of them, and hoping to get a few more, so if you are reading this and have a great, EASY, crockpot recipe, see two posts below and leave a comment with your recipe!



**So at my 6 week post partum follow up, I stepped on the scale (required-ugh) and was pleasantly surprised to learn I only had 13 pounds left to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I was thrilled to realize that my weight loss plan of sitting on the couch nursing twins all day and eating anything and everything I wanted had paid off. =). Shortly after this I read that a woman nursing twins needs about 3000 calories a day and a QUART of milk. That explained why I was so FAMISHED all the time! Seriously, I am so hungry ALL the time. Way more than when I was pregnant. So with some of the weight having come off so easily, and with reading that I actually "needed" an insane amount of calories a day, I continued to give myself license to eat anything and everything I want, whenever I want. And friends, it's not pretty. My diet often includes Poptarts and cookies and ice cream and licorice. Not pretty. Fun, but not pretty. Today I stepped on the scale (ONLY because David and I wanted to see how much the babies weighed, and we figured if we weighed ourselves without a baby and then with one, we could get a pretty accurate weight) and was horrified to find out I am UP SIX POUNDS. That's six in addition to the original 13.

So it turns out the sit-around-all-day-nursing-and-eating-tons-of-junk diet is not working for me after all. Bummer. Looks like it's time to jump back on the Weight Watchers train. But not until next week. I am giving myself one more week of freedom...mainly because my sister made a giant batch of delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies just the other day and I am powerless against them.



**Yesterday I dressed Abigail up in a spring dress I had purchased back in October of 2006. I was pregnant and shopping at the Carter's outlet. Even though it was too early to know the sex of the baby, the dress was downright adorable and on sale so I bought it. It even had a matching hat. I remember when we lost that pregnancy, I was so sad packing up all my pregnancy and baby stuff, and when I put away that dress I remember staring at it for awhile and wondering if I would ever have a baby girl to put it in. Flash forward 3 and 3/4 years, and there I stood in Church, swaying and holding my precious little Abbeygirl, wearing that very same dress, and singing the verse "Hope which was lost, now stands renewed". Amen.


Happy Monday all.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad that Luke's mouth is looking better!

I had *horrible* thrush and then a bacterial infection with William and finally in desperation went to see an ID doc (who I knew from med school would be good and sympathetic). :) Ultimately what worked for us was high-dose Diflucan for BOTH William and me, even though he wasn't really showing any thrush. Something to keep in mind as a back up in case this doesn't clear quickly. I got it a couple more times and as long as I jumped right back on the Diflucan, it cleared much more quickly than the first time around.

Hugs! Hang in there Mama.

Aunt Carol said...

I was all set to try your diet until you mentioned the extra six pounds! Rats.

Glad to hear the thrush is on the run.

It was sweet to know you've been able to use that special dress from 2006.

Love, Aunt Carol

Heather said...

AMEN!! I remember a moment very similar to that for me holding AK in church and that was the same day I found out you were pregnant!!!! :) Hang in there with the weight loss---I say nursing twins (plus being a mommy plus working) is HARD WORK so don't limit yourself too much until you are done.....you will have the rest of their lives (and yours!!!) to lose it!
Hope the thrush goes away soon!

Vanessa's Dad said...

Glad to see you're overcoming the Thrush.

Eating Well and Moving Well have been real pluses for me, which helps me Think Well, too.

U R blessed. I thank God every day (over your senior picture) that He has given you your hearts desire.

LOVE,
GRAND DAD

Chelsie said...

Hey Kendra, Kennedy and I had thrush for almost 3 months! We tried all the pills the dr gave us and finally someone suggested buying Gentian violet (not sure I spelled it right), it's a small bottle you can get at any store pharmacy though it's otc, and cost about $2. It stains everything purple, but I put it in KK's mouth and on me and within 2 days, no kidding, the thrush was gone! Worth a try! Also you can get "All purpose nipple cream" to put on you, have your dr call in an RX to Quisenberry's (or another pharmacy that mixes their own) and you will feel much better! It has lidocaine in it! good luck!