Monday, November 3, 2008

A not-so-average-Thursday

On my post last Tuesday, where I described the "thumb-incident" (as it is now being referred to), I mentioned that I hadn't slept well the night before. I said I would get to the "why" later, and I am feeling like now...is later.
Part of the reason for that is it has taken me a good few days to process all this, and really think about how I feel. I have always written much better than I have spoken, and writing my thoughts and feelings out now just seems like a good next step.
On Monday night of last week, my mom called. We were chatting about Thanksgiving and making plans, and then she said she needed to talk to me about "something". That something turned out to be that she was having surgery on Thursday to remove cervical cancer.

It's so strange what happens when someone says or does something that catches you off guard. It's like your body just kind of goes numb. I think it is some kind of self preservation type thing, where your mind is trying to process what you just heard, and so everything stops and time just stands still for awhile while you try and comprehend what just happened.
I wondered why she was telling me this in this manner, so fact like, and right after a casual discussion about Thanksgiving. And then I realized there is absolutely no right way to tell someone something like this. No mother ever wants to have to tell their child something like this...what's the "correct" way to do it?
I asked her why she hadn't told us before? Why hadn't we heard about this in the very beginning, at the biopsy stage or something?
Her answer was what I see as a very loving, motherly answer. "Why worry you guys until I knew if there was even a reason to?" I can respect that. I am not a mother yet, but I get that. I really do.
She was being so protective and worried about me and my sisters, saying things like "I just don't want you girls to be worried, I really think it will be ok." And then I finally said "Mom, I am 27 years old. I know I am still your kid, but I am a grown woman, don't worry about me so much, you need to worry about and take care of you."
Her only reply to that was "Kendra, you will understand when you have children of your own."
I am sure she is right.

The good news is they caught it very early. And they were right on top of getting her scheduled for surgery. There is a very good chance that they will have removed it all, and this chapter of her life - the cancer chapter- could be closed.
The best news is my mom knows Jesus. My heart just breaks for my brothers and sisters in Christ who have family members who are hurting and don't know Jesus. Oh how much harder that would make all this.

So Thursday I took the day off work, and headed down to my hometown. That morning on my way there, I was anxious. I was nervous. Scared. Sad. I also still felt kind of numb. It was like I still didn't quite know what to think about all this. I think my little sister Natalie best put words to the situation when she noted the recognition of the full magnitude of having the "C" word officially enter our immediate family for the first time ever. It's a scary thing.
I had been praying Monday night. I had been praying all day Tuesday and Wednesday. But on Thursday morning as I was in the car driving down there, it was as if I had no words to pray. I didn't know how to pray for this. I didn't know how to put words to how I felt. I was very anxious.
Then a gleaming white Lexus drove passed me. It had a large, black bumper sticker perfectly centered on the rear bumper. In white capitol letters, it said "TRUST JESUS". That was it. No website listed, no business link, not even a scripture reference. Just Trust Jesus.
Coincidence? I think not.
I breathed in deep, exhaled, and thought...ok. I will. Jesus promises us He will never leave us or forsake us. He promises us He will never give us more than we can bear.
I take Him at His word.

I went to pick up my littlest sister, and we went down to the hospital to meet up with another sister (there are 5 of us total if you are losing count), her boyfriend, and my mom's boyfriend. The 2 sisters that were able to be there and I got to go in and see my mom right before they wheeled her into surgery. And back there in the pre-op room, the weirdest thing happened...
We laughed. We laughed so hard we had tears streaming down our faces. There was absolutely no anxiety. No fear. No sad tears. Only joy.
We had been sitting in some chairs next to the gurney my mom was on, idly chatting, when Vanessa started cracking up. She says "I am sorry, but can this really be considered sanitary?" We all look at what she is pointing at, and immediately start cracking up. Of course I had to bust out my camera....

It was a stethoscope hanging on a hook on the side of a counter. And it was hanging directly into a trash can.

That's Vanessa and Emily questioning the situation.
Of course that led right into a discussion about if the gloves that were in the trash can were in fact the very gloves that the surgeon would use, and so on and so forth. We were laughing so hard. It will always be a really fun memory for me.

While waiting for the surgery to be completed, Emily and I went over to get some snacks from the cafeteria. By the way - holidays, and days when your mom is having surgery are diet-days-off days - so those snacks consisted of Cheetos, rice krispie treats, and brownies with M&M's in them. On our way over to the cafeteria, we couldn't help but notice how beautiful the fall leaves were:

Weren't they beautiful colors? Thank you Lord, for the trees, for the miracle of that moment, and for being with us on Thursday, and everyday...

The surgery went well, and shortly after she woke up, my mom was discharged to go home. She has been recovering and resting. Her doctor has been reluctant to discuss the next steps in this process until he knows more. We are currently awaiting the pathology from the surgery, and should have those results on Tuesday (tomorrow). Our prayer is that the pathology confirms they were able to remove all the cancer, and that this battle is over.
We covet your prayers as well.
My prayer is also that if that is not what the Lord has in mind, that He would continue to hold my mom -and the rest of us- in His arms, and that the doctors would have wisdom to know what to do next.

While driving yesterday I was listening to my MercyMe CD and the song "Spoken For" came on. I absolutely can not listen to that song without crying. I adore the lyrics.

Covered by your love divine,
Child of the Risen Lord.
To hear you say,
"this one's mine",
My heart is spoken for.


I was reminded that we are children of The Risen Lord. And that is no small thing.
I am so grateful that my mom's heart, as well as mine, is Spoken For.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey thanks for stopping by and the compliments. Wow, you've been through a lot lately. I just said a prayer for your mom. I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

The Coach's Wife said...

Hey, thank you so much for the comments and the prayers. They mean the world!

Unknown said...

Good writing there Kendra. And a great shot of you & Em. I can totally picture you all laughing. I'm SO glad you were there for Aunt L.

Hugs and prayers,

The Writer Chic said...

Oh Kendra....I can relate to this post on SO many levels. Solidarity, sister. I can't tell you how many Oreo Brownies I've eaten in the last week or two! ;) I will be praying for your family and for miraculous results today!

Faith said...

Wow, Kendra. I am so sorry that your family has been dealing with all of this, but I'm praying for great results from the pathologist and for complete healing for your Mom. Our God is able!!

Please keep us posted! Hugs, Faith

Stephanie said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. Any word from the doctor yet?

Amanda said...

Well said. Sorry I wasn't able to be there with you all during the surgery. Glad you found something to laugh about. It will be a funny story to remember for years to come.

Lianna Knight said...

Praying for you and your mom :)

Unknown said...

Kendra,
I hope things are going better for you this week. I love you all so much and I am praying for you girls and your mama. I have a long overdue CD I would like to put in the mail for you with the pictures from when Amanda was here. If you e-mail me your address I can put it in the mail :)
Love you,
Kaitlynn