Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Taste and see...

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him" Psalm 34:8
SO true!! What a wonderful, refreshing week! For those of you who mentioned you had taken a media fast before and that it would be a blessed experience - you were right. I highly recommend it to anyone. I had never realized before this past week just how addicted to noise I was. Growing up in a house of 7 people will do that to you =-). I find comfort in noise. I often have the TV on in the background when I am cooking, or I fall asleep with it on. This week has taught me the value of quiet. It was a little difficult at first to deal with the stillness...I felt fidgety and didn't quite know what to do with myself... but God saw me through. Thank you so much for your prayers! I am grateful.
Today I was reflecting on my time this past week and thinking how amazing our God is. He answered some of the questions I had of Him, and others He simply made the question seem less important... He gave my heart peace about the unknown.
He reminded me how much He loves me.
He filled my heart with Hope. Not for anything in particular, just with Hope in who He is, and He made my heart content with that alone. Thank you Lord.
I realize now that just like any relationship, I need to nurture mine with the Lord with quality time, an
d devote my undivided attention from time to time...and it will flourish!
My friend Julie recommended this book:Invitation to Silence and Solitude By Ruth Haley Barton. Great book! I am only a third of the way through it, partly because I didn't purchase it until Friday and party because the author encourages you to take it slowly and not rush it. It gives me such much encouragement to take time daily -different than my usual quiet time where I read devotions and pray- even if it's just 10 minutes, to sit in silence before the Lord, making no requests of Him, just sit before Him and love Him. It is so settling to my soul.

As much as I have really enjoyed this past week - I have missed blogging!!!! I have missed all of my friends!! I missed seeing new pictures of my cutie-pie niece who lives states away! (Luckily my sister Amanda and I email back and forth all day, so she sent me a picture via email so I could get my Cadence fix =-) ).

So, before I dive into all your blogs to see what you all have been up to this past week, I have a sneak peak into my week with a few pics for you! Well, pics of the interesting stuff that is. I mean, really, I didn't take any pictures of me sitting alone reading my book or my bible. Although I know you all would have found those thrilling. HA!

Saturday Dave and I drove to Salem for my dad's 60th birthday party! He had a cake decorating party, it was fun!My dad, Ann, and their 5 beautifully decorated cakes!!
My sister Vanessa and I decorating a cake.
The husband and 2 of my 4 sisters.

Also, on Monday night David and I went to a Blazers game:
My camera is zoomed in like as far as it will go for that pic =-). We had nosebleed seats! But we had a blast. Our team won by one point! It was a really exciting game!!

Ok- now I am off to see what you all have been up to. I have missed you!!!!!!!

Hope you all have a very blessed Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

So good to have you back!!! Glad your Media Fast was so enriching for you. I know you were worried about how you would do without TV and internet. Sounds like it was just what you needed.

The cake decorating party looks like it was a blast. I'm sorry I missed it. Thanks for sharing the pics.

The Writer Chic said...

Yay! You're back! I'm SO glad that the media fast was balm to your soul and a lesson learned. I'm praying you have a blesed Thanksgiving, Kendra!

Kelly said...

I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Thnksgiving!

Jenna said...

So glad you are back and that your time away was awesome! Hope ya'll have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Unknown said...

Nostalgic for a certain set of stairs and a passle of cousins.

Lianna Knight said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was just as blessed as you are :)

Faith said...

I've missed you! So glad to hear you had a wonderful and fulfilling week. I hope your Thanksgiving was blessed as well!

Heather said...

I'm so glad you are back...but even more glad that you had a spiritually-productive fast! I am just like you....I get restless in "quiet" sometimes. But that's often where we hear God best. I am praying for you!!!