Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

I know I've said it before...I LOVE this time of year. I love Christmastime. I just love the entire month of December. I am that person who the day after Thanksgiving turns to the radio station that starts playing only Christmas music 24/7, and even though that means I will hear "Last Christmas" by Wham! hourly for the next 30+ days, I never tire of it.

I love Christmas shopping, and wrapping presents. I love watching ridiculously cheesy made-for-TV Christmas movies. I love baking treats and packaging them up in Christmas tins and delivering them to friends and neighbors. I love decorations and lights and Christmas trees in front room windows.

I love it all.

And this Christmas is extra special for a few reasons. The first - and most obvious- is it is Luke & Abbey's first Christmas, and our first one as a family of four.

It's also special because it is the first one our new home, the first home we've ever owned.

Being that there are a few "firsts" this year, it's got me thinking about establishing traditions. After reading this post, I've been thinking about it even more. And then the other night during my nightly reading in this book , I was presented with these two quotes....


" 'One of the most important aspects about family traditions -rituals that families continue to do year after year- is that traditions have symbols and families need symbols. You bring out the old glass, you sing the old songs, you say the same prayer, you wear a certain outfit, you set the table in a certain way.' These are the unconscious moments of family ritual that become emotional security blankets to be tugged on in times of stress." - George J. Wolin (Clinical professor of psychiatry at George Washington University Medical School)




"Traditions are the guideposts driven deep into our subconscious minds"-Ellen Goodman


Aren't those beautiful?

I have so many wonderful memories of Christmas traditions growing up. Going up to my Aunt Kay's every year. Bundling up and piling my entire family of 7 into our suburban and driving to the other side of town to go through the neighborhoods that went ALL OUT with lights and decorations. Christmas dishes for the whole month. Getting a new ornament each year that symbolized something we had done that year. Putting out cookies and carrots for Santa and the reindeer. The sheer elation of getting to open one present every Christmas eve. Running down the stairs and seeing the new presents that weren't there the night before in the special wrapping paper that said "from Santa".

David and I have already started a few traditions over our last 6 Christmases together. We always take a night and make popcorn and David makes hot cocoa the REAL way (melts the chocolate himself and everything!) and we watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation together. And we always make orange sweet rolls for breakfast on our Christmas morning. But that's it so far.

And now as I dream about our children growing up and having Christmas memories, it makes me think about what kind of traditions I want to establish with them and for them.

I love the idea of watching Christmas movies while snuggled under Christmas blankets. I love the idea of Christmas jammies each year. I want us to read Luke 2: 1-20 as a family. I was asking around at work what some favorite Christmas traditions are, and one of the surgeons told me every year he and his family make and package sandwiches and then go downtown on Christmas day and deliver them to homeless people that are living on the streets. That's something I would definitely like to do with our kids when they are a bit older.

One of my favorite ideas comes from a family I know from my preschool teaching days, every year they make a birthday cake for Jesus. I LOVE this idea. We aren't going to start it this year, because the twins are too little for cake, David isn't real big on sweets, and I have an aversion to throwing out unused food...add those 3 things up and you've got me eating an entire cake myself. This would not be good. So we will try that one next year when we can share it =)


We have some decorations up this year, and after Christmas I intend to hit up some sales and collect some more for the years to come. I loved having a decorated house growing up, and I want Luke and Abbey to have the same experience.



I'd love to know what some of your favorite Christmas traditions are! I would especially like to know how you commuicate the real meaning of Christmas to your kids.

7 comments:

Julia said...

I can't wait to see what people will say! I'm definitely looking for ideas to contribute to our own family traditions. LOVE National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation--I knew I liked you for a reason :)

Aunt Carol said...

I love that you love everything about Christmas. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Love, Aunt Carol

Lauren said...

I can’t wait to see the traditions you establish with your kids, Kendra!! I know this Christmas is going to be so so special for y’all…. Thank you so much for your sweet Christmas card. Made my day!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie Christmas Vacation!!! :)

Julia said...

Kendra--I read this this morning, and LOVED the idea. Then, I thought of you, and wanted to share it with you. I'll post the link, but here's the gist--you get some hay/straw whatever and a nativity set--each time someone in your family does a kindess, you put a piece of hay/straw in Jesus' manger. Then on Christmas morning, you lay baby Jesus in the manger that is lined with kindess. Isn't that beautiful?!? I'm totally going to use it! Here's the link:

http://www.thehighcalling.org/family/season-good-intentions

Kaycee said...

I love family traditions! All times of the year they make me happy. Some of my favorites from growing up (that was are now continuing with our daughter)... Bundling up into the car with hot coco in travel mugs and driving around to look at Christmas lights. Making Christmas cookies and decorating them all together. Watching Christmas movies throughout December (though my entire family usually gets together to watch White Christmas). We used to watch slides one night when I was really little (and fight over the year to pick) but now we are much more high tech and my dad makes a "year in review" DVD of pictures and videos we watch instead. :) We do an advent calendar every year. My daughter has a nativity playset and we have started reading the story and using the playset to act it out. That's probably enough from me, eh? :)

Vanessa's Dad said...

Candlelight Christmas Eve service, singing "Silent Night" is very special.

Viewing Christmas Lights in neighborhoods.

Mostly, just being with family and friends that I love and enjoy.

I love movies, so Christmas movies are always fun. I'm quite eclectic in my movie taste, from "Holiday Inn" and "White Christmas" "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" (all three versions) to "National Lampoon" and "Ernest Saves Christmas" "The Santa Claus"(both versions). Lately, I've been hankering to see "Home Alone" for the soundtrack, if nothing else.

I also like the TV specials, from Rudolph to Frosty. I grew up with these. My all-time favorite is "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Hearing Linus recite from Luke moves me every time I see/hear it.* Also, the animated Sueuss version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" narrated by Boris Karloff is a classic. Jim Carrey's movie version is a hoot, too.

"A Christmas Carol" Hallmark special, starring George C. Scott.

Maybe a jigsaw puzzle or board/family games.

* Catch Linus on UTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVDOu2_Fuc

Thanks for letting me share. Looking forward to seeing other Christmas tradition ideas.

nbrown said...

Kendra! Joelle just reminded me of a tradition I heard about years ago and I think it is so fun. THE PICKLE PRESENT! Basically, you hide a pickle ornament in the tree Christmas morning. The first person to find it Christmas Day gets an extra present (in Joelle's family, it's typically a gift they can do together, such as a board game). Isn't that so fun?!