Saturday, December 4, 2010

A retail rant

Today ended up being "my Saturday" to take 3 hours away from home. I went to Costco and Walmart to do some Christmas shopping.

Dave pointed out that today would be a good day to hit up those normally busy places because it was Civil War Game Day and pretty much our entire State would be at home watching. He was right, neither store was very busy - yahoo!

Anyways.

Back to my rant.

Two of the things I was looking for today I could not find, and it irked me greatly, because they should be simple things to locate pretty much anywhere.

Thing One: A long sleeved white shirt for me. Sure I found plenty of plain long sleeved white shirts - but the deal is I would like one that isn't SEE THROUGH. Is that too much to ask? Seriously. Every one that I found was soooo thin and you could see right through it. And I don't need my less-than-adorable-big-ol' nursing bras showing through my white shirt. Wait, let me be clear, I don't want ANYTHING showing through my shirt. I try not to be that girl.

I digress.

I just need a simply long sleeved white shirt to wear with cardigans and scarves and the like. But alas, it was not to be found today.

I DID however find THREE different ADORABLE sweaters at Costco, all under $25. But I only held them up, coveted them, and then sighed heavily while folding them up and putting them back on the table, telling myself I don't need them and we have plenty of other things to by this Holiday Season.

I digress again.

Thing Two: Christmas Pajamas for my babies. Matching jammies. Either jammies that are exactly the same, or ones that are the essentially the same but a little different for boy and girl. I thought these would be easy to acquire. Wouldn't you? Not so much. At least not in the sizes I need. Luke should be in 12 months by Christmas, and Abbey will still be in 9 months. And apparently Christmas jammies that go together are not available in those sizes. Sad face. I want Luke and Abbey to have their first Christmas morning in Christmas jammies! I guess I will keep on searching...but I have now checked Target, Fred Meyers, Costco and Walmart. I am not willing to pay a lot of money for these -since they will get little wear- so many stores are off limits.

All this is to say - my search continues. And if you know of a great place to get either Thing One or Thing Two - let me know! =)

Happy Saturday all.

18 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am on the Christmas jammies search too! I just can't find the right one.My daughter will be in 12 months by then, and i'm just not finding what I want. oh well, hope we both get our babies the Christmas jammies of our dreams! ha! i'll be reading to see when you find some :)

Chinchilla Family said...

Try Kohls for the long sleeved white t shirt. I just got one there.

Once Upon A Time said...

Oh I hear ya on the Christmas jammies! I went hunting for them today too! I settled for some from Kohls- I had a $10 off that I used and so my total for them was less than $2.

Ashley said...

try Carters! They have adorable PJ's... in store, or on their website.

nbrown said...

Target has great double-layer, Merona brand, long sleeve shirts. I would gladly accompany you on a trip on Monday afternoon. :)

Jessica said...

I got my babies some Christmas jammies off eBay. I'm not big on eBay but after searching everywhere myself it's what I resorted too and I think I got some pretty cute gently used ones from years past.

Aunt Carol said...

Those would be the places I would usually check. Perhaps Ross Dress for Less? Have only been there once many years ago so don't know just what they carry. Good luck.

Love, Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

What about Children's Place!

Anonymous said...

I don't know where you live. I clicked on this blog from another blog, that I probably clicked on from yet a previous blog...but I recently found matching Christmas PJs for my kids at Kohl's. I think they were under $15 each on sale.

Heather said...

Hmm... Gymboree has their Gymmies on sale for $10. I bought my girls these this year for their Christmas jammies: http://tinyurl.com/2dh5oly. They have little unisex reindeer ones that are sold out online, but you could check the store or call. They come in both 6-12 months and 12-18 months.

Old Navy has blue monkey jammies with Santa hats for 12.50 in L's size and the same monkey jammies with Santa hats in purple in A's size... http://tinyurl.com/25tkkw9
and http://tinyurl.com/32qq2f9...

You may also try Carter's- if they have similar boy/girl footies, you should be able to find them in both 9 & 12 months there.

Anonymous said...

Maybe try Target for the long sleeved white shirt? I recently got a teal one that I wear all the time.

Hope that helps!

Rashell

Amanda said...

Carters outlet or Kohls would be my best guess for the jammies. Possibly the long sleeved white shirt too. I think I sent Abbey some Christmas jammies, but they were 12 month size and pretty pastel so they would be tricky to match for Lukey. Bummer to have your special free time so frustrating and unaccomplished? sorry brain fart there for the correct word. good luck shopping online.

Brooke said...

I completely agree with you on the white shirt thing! I did get a gray one from target and its white counterpart is not see through... especially if you are wearing a cardigan over it. I wear mine under sweaters or layered up with other things. I think it was like $10 or $12.

Kaycee said...

I'm not sure what stores you have by you but I got white and gray shirts that were long sleeve and super soft but not see through (I hate that too!) from Coldwater Creek.

My sister-in-law also just bought matching corresponding sleepers for all the nieces and nephews (ranging in age from 1-5 years) from Carters. The girls are pink and red with a monkey in a Santa hat and the boys are gray, red and green with the same monkey. I'm pretty sure I have an online 20% off coupon in my email too so if you want that just email me and I would be happy to share!

Also, we use our Christmas PJs for the whole winter, we figure they are good PJs so why not use them until they out-grow them! :)

Vanessa's Dad said...

13 comments on shopping for white shirt and Xmas jammies for kiddos! Really?

I spent 30+ years in a household that was wall-to-wall women, and I'm still clueless... sigh...

My suggestion is to buy the Twins different kinds of Xmas jammies... cause they're different... different sizes... and different gender. Trust me, they may be from the same womb, but they're from different worlds.

Heather said...

This won't probably help for this year...but I usually try to get Christmas jammies on sale after Christmas for the next year at Old Navy for my kiddos...I always but at least one size bigger than I think they'll need...because they are the tight-fitting kind...and honestly jammies can be big anyway. But that way you can always find them matching/unisex and they are cheap!!!

Jen S. said...

Hi Kendra!
I hope you have better luck soon in finding the things you are looking for. I too had that problem last week. Every time I headed out to get something simple that I needed (even had the problem at the groc. store too!) I was out of luck!!!
I would stongly suggest if you have a Kohl's, I would try there for both the things you are looking for. They usually have a huge selection and they are always having a good sale! I LOVE Kohl's!!
Have a great day sweet friend ;)

Beth Roberts said...

Gymboree has 30% off everything and free shipping right now online....you might find the pjs there!! I also have a 20% off coupon (that you can use with the 30% off) if you'd like it...I can email you with the details. I am not going to be using it, so I'd love for someone to get some use out of it! Let me know! tbmroberts at yahoo dot com