Tuesday, October 28, 2008

An average Tuesday

So due to some new events in my life -which I will get into at a later time- I slept horribly last night. And I looked like it this morning. I went to work and we were really slow, so at lunch I asked if I could go home early, and my boss said no problem. I came home and changed into some comfy sweats and crashed on the couch. Love me a good nap. Then around 3:45 I woke up and decided to start dinner. Since I was home so early, I decided to make chicken breast supreme, as it needs 1 1/2 hours to bake. I am almost done getting it all together, when I go to open the jar of dried beef. It has this wicked little plastic ring around the top, and I can not get it off for the life of me. I grab a cutting knife and attempt to slice through the ring. I go at it from like 5 different angles, and finally I get it just right and slice right through the ring. And right through my thumb. I kid you not. Clean slice. I look at it and don't quite see bone, but I see a lot of blood and start to think I might be seeing St. Peter and the pearly gates...
I grab a napkin to apply pressure and immediately it is soaked with blood. Yikes. I get another napkin and press harder. I grab my cell phone and call my primary care doctor. I get ahold of her nurse and tell her what happened and beg her to let me come there and not make me go to Urgent Care. She buckles and tells me to head over. I change napkins again and call David on his cell. He is on the bus on his way home from school. I quickly explain the situation and tell him I am on my way to the doctors and give him instructions on how to finish the dinner that I am leaving out. No way I am letting all that hard work go to waste!! Then I realize I am wearing my pink fleece sweat pants, which are too big and David affectionately calls my "dump pants", because, well, they make me look like I am carrying a load in the back of my pants. Vanity kicks in and I decide I simply can not go out in public in these pants. I change into jeans- which is not easy with one hand. I finally get out to the car and while looking into the rear view mirror to reverse out of the garage I notice I have blood all over my face. Awesome. I look like I have been involved in some serious gang violence. I must have been wiping my face without even realizing it. I quickly clean it all off and head to the doctors.
They get me right back and she is wonderfully sweet to me. Apparently they don't really use stitches anymore, but dermabond. Whatever works. She explains to me that I have two options. Because the slice is so broad across my thumb (Go big or go home, right people?!?) she will need to give me two shots to numb the area. Two shots directly into my nerves. Hmmm...not loving option number one. OR I can bear down and she will clean the wound without numbing it. Hmmm...not loving option number two.
I end up selecting door number two. Whoa Momma. To her credit, she did clean it really quickly, but it was a less than pleasant experience. Then she sealed it with dermabond, then put some strips over the top to keep it from being pulled open when I flex my thumb.
Then she asks me if I have had a tetanus shot lately. What constitutes as lately? Within 5 years I am informed. Well, I can't remember exactly how long it has been, but I am pretty sure I had a Strawberry Shortcake band aide on my shoulder after and that I received a lollipop upon leaving the doctors office...so it was probably at least 10 years ago.
So I end up with one of those too. Oh and just for good measure she throws in a whooping cough vaccine.
The good news is she also gave me an RX for 6 Vicodin. God bless her.
So, I am now off to eat my yummy and painstaking dinner. And then pop a Vicodin.
Ya know...just an average Tuesday.
Oh, and here are some pics for your viewing pleasure...I feel pretty =-)

8 comments:

Faith said...

OH Kendra!! Bless your heart! What a disaster. I really hope that your thumb feels better soon.

Btw...chicken breasts supreme is my FAVORITE meal that my mom made growing up. And, next time you can use the beef that is in the sandwich meat section and there will be no risk of slicing your hand off! I hope you at least got to enjoy a little bit of it!

MiMi said...

Kendra,

I am Faith's mom and I am so sorry to hear about your thumb! I can't even imagine what that must have felt like to have the wound cleaned! OUCH! I'm with you, though, I would have chosen door number two, also.

As for the Tetanus shot, I am sorry that you had to get one of those because I know that this morning you can probably barely move your arm!

As Faith mentioned above, I use the real thin sliced beef (C@rl Buddig is the brand, I think) in the sandwich meat case in the store and it is delicious. (The dried beef in the jar was a little too salty for me.) This way --- no risk of injury trying to get the jar open, either.

I love your story-telling abilities and I LOVE your blog! The colors are great.

The Writer Chic said...

Oh Kendra....I just found your blog yesterday (love it, btw!), and was so bummed to read this post this morning. I hope you heal well and soon!

Lianna Knight said...

YUK!! I'm so sorry...I knew it was going to be bad news when I saw the word KNIFE :(

Amanda said...

Oh dear sister, not the romantic fancy dinner you had envinsioned with your hubby. I can't believe you changed into jeans when you were bleeding that badly. Too funny. Glad your doctor was able to help without a trip to the Urgent Care and that you got wonderful happy drugs to help with the pain.

Was hubby able to help save the dinner?

natalierochelle said...

i'm having visions of when Ross has to rush Rachel to the hospital for her rib pains and she insists on taking off her Drag-Queenish make up beforehand... so great!

we are definitely sisters.

enjoy the vicodin... i might even suggest saving one for a rainy day. :)

LOVE YOU!

Vanessa's Dad said...

Oh, Darlin' your can opening story reminded me of your sister Natalie's battle with a can of tuna.

You are all brilliant, talented, Women of Faith and Vision... and container challenged...

LOVE,
DAD

Unknown said...

Coz, I so want the recipie for Chicken Breast Supreme. Probably not on my diet but I still want it. I'll tell the story along with it and Antonio will think you're so brave. You know his thumb story? Firemen, ER, go big or go home right? Love the story! Glad you're OK.