Sunday, October 26, 2008

Politics

You can unclench your jaw and exhale your breath, I am not going to talk specifics here. =-)
I was reminded today how very personal politics can be. Very personal. I personally can not wait for this election to be over. We have early voting in my state, and I mailed off our ballots yesterday. Whew! Now I can quit paying attention. I don't really pay any mind to early polling numbers, in my opinion they leave way too much unaccounted for.
I have been pretty much decided for months about where I was going to cast my vote, and in the end it was indeed where I cast it. BUT, throughout those months I tried very hard to be open to the Lord's leading. I spent time on my knees asking Him for wisdom.
You see, I don't believe I should vote just based on how my husband votes -nor would he ever expect me to. Yes, he is the head of our household, and I try and support him as such, but this is my ballot, not his, and not even ours. We happen to agree on the presidential candidate we voted for, but we did however disagree on a few ballot measures. Sometimes politely disagreed, sometimes a little less politely =-). I did in the end have to leave two ballot measures blank. I simply could not decide either way. I hate not voting. It reminds me of when my dad - after finding out at the age of 20 I still had not registered to vote- said to me "people fought and died for your right to vote!". That got to me. I went out and registered the very next day.
But back to this election...I also do not believe you should vote based on how your parents vote, your neighbors vote, by how many yard signs or bumper stickers you have seen, or even by how your Church votes. Gasp! Yes I said it. Although politics have never been preached from our pulpit (which I appreciate), we did receive a "Christian Voters Guide" last Sunday. I looked through it, and although there were several things I agreed with inside, there were also several things I disagreed with. BUT, I still took all those things to Jesus, and prayed for wisdom and discernment.
And that's my point, I do not vote by how my husband would have me vote, my neighbor, my friends, or my church... I vote how I feel My Jesus would have me vote.
I do not think either presidential candidate is flawless. I do however feel one is more suited to the direction I personally feel we should go than the other.
But it only matters so much who actually gets elected, because on November 5th, my Leader will still be a Lamb.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well put cousin!

natalierochelle said...

hey thank you for taking the time to really listen to my concerns and give me your two cents, while still encouraging me to think for myself. :)

i hope you realize how much i love and admire you AND your opinions.

Amanda said...

Dad would probably be a little appalled then to discover that at the age of 30, his oldest daughter has never voted yet! But I plan to remedy that this year. I hope to make my vote as God driven and guided as your voting was.

Faith said...

OH, I'm so ready for this election to be over! We have got to be on our knees like never before, praying that God's will be done. He is Lord of all!