Monday, October 20, 2008

Christmas 411

My blogger friend Amy is doing something really fun on her blog!! If you haven't ever been to Amy's blog, you should go visit. She is really funny and absolutely adorable to boot! (I mean that in the most heterosexual way...I like the boys). She is hosting "Christmas 411", and asking us all to list some fun, inexpensive gift ideas on our blogs and link to her site, so we can all see each others ideas and therefor get some great suggestions from some super cool people =-).
So here are some of my fun Christmas gift ideas...
First off, I love socks. Love 'em. My feet are always freezing. I sleep with socks on every night, even throughout the hot summer nights. During the winter I especially love fuzzy socks, like these:

Now I realize those by themselves aren't much, but my mom has sold Mary Kay all my life, and one thing I have learned from her is packaging/presentation. I love to throw some yummy smelling rosemary/mint foot scrub, a pumice stone, lotion and a cute polish in the socks, and then tie it off with a big bow. Simple and cute!!

I think these Coasters are cute too, and affordable!


As far as something personal for someone, I love, love, love These:Aren't those cute?!? I live in Oregon, where it rains 320 of the 365 days in a year. I kid. But seriously it rains a ton, and how fun to have a monogrammed umbrella to stay dry under=-).

I think THIS is pretty great too.


And speaking of monogrammed things, I - like Lianna - have to give a shout out to my girl Faith. She has an online store http://www.adesignoffaith.com/ and even though I have yet to purchase anything, that doesn't mean I haven't seriously lusted after some things!! Like how cute are these:

Ok that picture looks funny for some reason, but go to her site and check them out for yourself. Monogrammed totes. So cute!! AND practical!!


This is a little more spendy, but I can't imagine a home it wouldn't look good in =-)

Now this next one may seem a little odd. It is something less cute and more sensible. It can be found at REI ... you see I love water. I seriously drink like 60 oz a day on average. But before you are too impressed I should note that it is like the only healthy thing I do. Anyways, a few months back I learned about some studies that are investigating the effects of BPA plastics, commonly used in plastic waterbottles (amongst other products). The Journal of American Medicine has even jumped in on this. Lots of serious medical issues have been linked to BPA plastics, including some fertility issues, ladies (!!). That very day I went and bought a stainless steal water bottle. I carry it everywhere. Not only is it safe, but it also keeps my water cool no matter what the conditions. Like when I run into Target just for toilet paper, and return to my car 4 1/2 hours later, the water that has been on my passenger seat that whole time is still cold!
These are some cute water bottles...

L to the O-V-E that last one!! In fact, which ever sister of mine that draws my name this Christmas, I would like an REI gift card so I can get that. Thanks =-)

A great gift idea we used last year is the CookieMix in a jar:These are so cute and I think they are something great for the people in your life that you want to do a little somethin' for. Like a coworker or a neighbor or something. I used red and green M&M's instead of chocolate chips to make it a little more festive. And I just used a little holiday fabric to top off each jar, and printed up some cute tags to attach with the instructions and our holiday wishes on them. Easy to make and easy on the checkbook as well =-).


So now it's your turn...what are some great, inexpensive gift ideas you have?

7 comments:

amy (metz) walker said...

Great stuff! Thanks for the ideas...I need all the help I can get!

Amanda said...

Ha, I didn't know you were such an REI fan. I have their credit card so that we get a dividend each year for a super fun guilt free shopping spree! We got lucky and one of the conventions at Noah's hotel was for a water filter company and they left some super fancy water bottles and he was able to get us each one. I confess that I rarely use mine and refill my plastic water bottle just like you aren't supposed to do.

Fun Christmas ideas. I don't even want to think about Christmas shopping right now. Too daunting.

Lianna Knight said...

I am going to do the cookie mix jars this year...if it KILLS me! I actually have two or three books on different ideas...cookie mix, cake mix, teas, etc. Especially with economy the way it is...I NEED to do them this year :)

Stephanie said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

I saw that you like Bring the Rain. It's a beautiful blog, but I don't read it regularly anymore. She was pregnant with Audrey the same time I was pregnant with my second child, and having lost two babies in miscarriage previously, seeing her grief was adding to my anxiety over my own pregnancy. But she is so eloquent and shares so honestly - it really is beautiful.

(By the way, you mentioned on your comment to me that you couldn't go through with the D&C. The first miscarriage, I couldn't either. It felt like I was participating in some way. The second time around I asked for it, though, because I just needed it to be over.)

But this post was much lighter than any of that ... for gift ideas, I have made scrapbooks for people before. Not the really ornate ones, but simple books with memories/anecdotes and pictures. They require more time than money, but they are great gifts for close friends or family.

Faith said...

This is fun! Thank you SO much for the shout out...you are so sweet!

I love the things on your list. I did coasters like that last year for my friends and family and I made inserts with scrapbook paper and their monogram on them...everyone seemed to love them. I'm going to check into those water bottles. They look cool!

Vanessa's Dad said...

Beer mugs. Signature beer mugs...

LOVE, DAD

amy (metz) walker said...

LOL, I love vanessa's dad's comment!