Monday, October 6, 2008

Wife Of The Year

Yup. That's my new title. I so earned it. Let me explain...
The Husband and I had made plans earlier in the week to go to Ikea on Sunday (yesterday) after church to purchase our new dressers. I was so excited! Three reasons: One, I was looking forward to the new dressers which match our bed- another step forward in making our bedroom look like grown-ups sleep there. Two: that also meant we could get rid of my pathetic $60-7-years-ago dresser from Target. Now, let it be known, I LOVE Target. Love it. Wanna be buried there (Ok, that's a little extreme, but you get my point!) but this dresser had been through like 6 moves and the particle board that was supposed to be the back of it was long gone and the top drawer was sagging so horribly that the drawer below it would open along with the top one anytime you pulled it's handle. Third: I just love Ikea.
When we were getting ready for church, Dave mentioned that his back was really bothering him. I asked him if he still wanted to go to Ikea, and he said yes, as long as we were quick. Hmmm.... I ponder the following equation in my head: quick+Ikea= not possible. But I say "Oh, sure babe".
After Sunday School I notice he is pimp-strutting to the sanctuary, so I say "If your back is really hurting you that bad, we can just go another time..." but he assures me it will be fine as long as we hurry.
In the car on the way to Ikea he mentions again that we will need to make this a quick visit, "Just get in, get our dressers, and get out".
My husband is not prone to nagging, he just knows that given the opportunity I could have easily spent the entire month of October there.
As we enter the building and take the escalator up to the showrooms my eyes begin to wander over the showroom and I take in all the new displays....
"Focus Kendra" my sweet husband says.
"Ok, I will" I lie.
We stop at the top of the escalator for a brief moment to survey the map. We take note of the "shortcuts" and off we go to the bedroom section. We quickly find our dressers, write down the aisle and bin numbers, and then make our way to the down escalators. Once downstairs I have a brief moment of weakness and begin to get lost in the vast wonder that is Ikea...
Focus Kendra, I tell myself.
We take all the shortcuts and reach the warehouse part of the store. We find our aisle, then our bin, and then our dressers. I say my obligatory comment about how amazing those Sweds are with their ability to fit large pieces of furniture into skinny boxes -astonishing! And we (and by "we" I mean David) load the dressers on our cart and move to the check out line. Hand over our debit card, and off we go!
Total time: 14 minutes.
I know.
Mere moments later we were at home, putting together our dressers, with Sunday afternoon football on in the background.
Where does one pick up their Wife of The Year award?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

First of all, I have to say I love your writing. It made me laugh out loud! Secondly, you have just listed your undying love for two of the three stores in Jen Lancaster's New Holy Trinity of Shopping.
I, too, wanted something at IKEA recently. When we were in Salt Lake, Noah's friends had these really cool funky plastic chopsticks they got at IKEA. And we had passed one on the way into Salt Lake. We were anxious to get going as it was a 7 hour drive home, but he agreed to stop. Baby was asleep so he stayed in the car. I asked where in the store they might be and dashed in. Although I couldn't find them I did manage to spend $12 in my 12 minutes in the store.... :)

Yes, you were a wonderfully faboulous wife to your hubby. Congratulations on your new dressers and further strides to grown up bedroom ambiance.

Unknown said...

A title, trophy, t-shirt AND a mug! That's what you so, so, so deserve! Doesn't D know there's a space time continium in Ikea? You can't possibly get in and out of there in less than 4 hours and 33 minutes! It's impossible! You could explode if you don't depressurize properly. Oh my gosh you're lucky you didn't get the bends!

Vanessa's Dad said...

U R sooo funny. Wife and Comedy Writer of the Year.

LOVE, DAD

Lianna Knight said...

How awesome!! And I mean TRULY awesome...I never would have passed that test :)

I love Ikea too...since we moved to Florida I think the closest one is at least 4 hours away!!!

I love the background on your blog too...I tried to talk my mom into choosing this one...i just love the green and brown :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog...and please keep us in your prayers :)

Kara said...

I love your style of writing!! How funny! I saw your comment on Kelly's blog and I wanted to let you know where I got the onesies for Kelly....www.faithbaby.com